M&P 15-22 with short/12" barrels from new

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Hunter87

Re: M&P 15-22 with short/12" barrels from new

#11 Post by Hunter87 »

Blackstuff wrote:thankssign

Andy Haines at Master Class Custom Guns does it too for a similar price. Time to get saving my pennies!
Any reason why you arnt just getting it cut down?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

It is being cut down? I just want it done at source rather than having to spend another glut of money getting it sent away and sent back. I don't think you can buy factory 12" barrels.
DVC
BamBam

#13 Post by BamBam »

I felt the same way, when I wanted my first 15-22 shortened I was quoted £175-

So I flogged it and then later bought a Moe version cut before initial proof.
Gundoc
Home club or Range: Triple C Tactical

#14 Post by Gundoc »

You can't get factory 12" barrels as the US won't export them as they are an NfA item therefore not 'for sporting use'
Some dealers will cut them down prior to proof.
As mentioned already the person who was doing it is not longer trading, Riflecraft are still doing it I believe.
Yes, I work for Lantac.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#15 Post by saddler »

Junior hacksaw, masking tape & file.....or nip along to Bowtec or similar RFD local to you.

IF you're ever in Edinburgh a mate I know up there is very skilled with a lathe & will chop & even thread it for a very reasonable fee.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#16 Post by Nelly2014 »

I'm just wondering, is this a 'fashion' thing? I've never even considered shortening my 15-22 barrel until this thread.
What is the advantage? lower velocity? more un-burnt powder? less long range accuracy? I can think of better ways of spending money. Just saying.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Nelly2014 wrote:What is the advantage? lower velocity? more un-burnt powder? less long range accuracy? I can think of better ways of spending money. Just saying.
Conventional wisdom suggests that 22LR has done everything of note in the first foot or so of barrel. Given that there will be negligible effect on velocity or accuracy at the ranges one would use a fun gun, I can't see any reason functionally not to do so. Plus it looks very cool and fits in a smaller bag ;)
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#18 Post by Nelly2014 »

Kungfugerbil wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote:What is the advantage? lower velocity? more un-burnt powder? less long range accuracy? I can think of better ways of spending money. Just saying.
Conventional wisdom suggests that 22LR has done everything of note in the first foot or so of barrel. Given that there will be negligible effect on velocity or accuracy at the ranges one would use a fun gun, I can't see any reason functionally not to do so. Plus it looks very cool and fits in a smaller bag ;)
Ah, the old 'conventional wisdom' clause lol.
I can reduce my barrel length by taking off the stupid muzzle brake thingy which keeps coming loose anyway.
I have added quite a lot to my rifle during ownership but tbh everything is function rather than form. The 15-22 looks cool anyway and I have a phobia of doing anything to a gun (or anything really) which means you cannot revert it to standard spec when you need to sell it.
Still, different strokes as they say.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Nelly2014 wrote:I have a phobia of doing anything to a gun (or anything really) which means you cannot revert it to standard spec
Whereas if I saw a 12" barrel AR-a-like that had been done by a reputable RFD and proofed on the second-hand market I would be all over it. It's a desirable modification. Different strokes and all that :)
Gundoc
Home club or Range: Triple C Tactical

#20 Post by Gundoc »

Kungfugerbil wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote:I have a phobia of doing anything to a gun (or anything really) which means you cannot revert it to standard spec
Whereas if I saw a 12" barrel AR-a-like that had been done by a reputable RFD and proofed on the second-hand market I would be all over it. It's a desirable modification. Different strokes and all that :)
Indeed, I'd say out of the 25 CMMG we sold last time round, around half were shorties
Yes, I work for Lantac.