Malin or Browning

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Malin or Browning

#1 Post by Dellboy »

Looking at this years Chrissy present to self and want a 22 undelever which may end up scoped ...........(takes cover )
Do i buy a Marlin or a Browning ,any thoughts ?
I have 2 proper Marlins in the cupboard now in 44 and 38 so am slightly biased .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Malin or Browning

#2 Post by saddler »

Got lucky this year & bagged a nice cheap Winchester 9422. Apologies to Hobbesy as I just pipped him to it!
Slicker than a slick thing; way too nice to stay where it was in Kent. Needs the front sight sorting out (fitted at the 11'o'clock position at the factory)

Always liked the Browning BL-22 (& the Miroku "own label" version, as they make both) as well, esp. the design feature to stop you nipping your finger on the trigger when racking - as the trigger is pinned to the lever not the frame, so moves with the lever!!

Have used the Marlins for a lot of bunny bashing in past decades. Again, nice guns BUT seem to command a price above their actual worth.

It'll possibly be down to what you see/handle first at the right price/time.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#3 Post by Dellboy »

the shop has the Browning and the Marlin in stock so can compare has anyone on here got either ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Mind cover a time span of 100 years of Marlin rimfires. From 1892 to 1992. The Model 39 is the longest continuously produced rifle ever. And that's for a reason.....

But I really am biased!

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

Yeah.
Knew fanboy wouldn't be long showing up!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

Only because you know that even given the superior manufacturing processes of Miroku, they still can't make a Winchester as good as a JM....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

Dellboy wrote:Looking at this years Chrissy present to self and want a 22 undelever which may end up scoped ...........(takes cover )
Do i buy a Marlin or a Browning ,any thoughts ?
I have 2 proper Marlins in the cupboard now in 44 and 38 so am slightly biased .
Neither. Buy a Henry. They are very smooth, very accurate and very reasonably priced, too.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

The 39 is a lovely rifle, accurate and smooth to operate. I have 2 and would recommend them.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

Re: Marlin or Browning

#9 Post by Mike95 »

The Marlin is very accurate and very well made...at least the older models with 24" barrel. The Browning/ Miroku, also well made and has a very short throw, making it excellent for turning target comps. My pals who have had newer models of the Marlin 39 have reported qualty problems. My own 39 was 1968 manufacture...rock solid.

Mike95