50m Prone

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

50m Prone

#1 Post by Sim G »

I'm sure I read a little while ago that 50m prone was being dropped from the Olympic disciplines. Anyone else heard this?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
rox

Re: 50m Prone

#2 Post by rox »

Sim G wrote:I'm sure I read a little while ago that 50m prone was being dropped from the Olympic disciplines. Anyone else heard this?
Yes.

rox

#3 Post by rox »

Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Splendid, cheers Rox.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

Replacing rimfire events with airgun events?, or have I mis-read it?

Sounds a bit ominous............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Kungfugerbil »

If they had their way everything would be Air or even better laser. The ISSF have sod-all interest in traditional shooting and want to make it fast-paced, sensationalised and team-based.

Dropping 50m prone is ridiculous. It's pretty much the pinnacle of target shooting at the Olympics, and they want to replace it with an egg and spoon race or three-legged popguns.

It's only a recommendation at this point, but it will probably happen. It's the beginning of the end.
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

I have shot 50mtr events for the last 40 + years and have always shot against both male and female shooters........... and have certainly lost a few to the girls.
So why can't they simply make the Olympic event a mixed competition????
Certainly no shame in losing to a better shooter no matter what their gender may be.

G
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

#8 Post by RobB »

I don't understand either why they are not mixed. I've also shot against ladies and there is no advantage we men have over them except numbers shooting. And that may be the issue, a 8 shooter final just on law of statistics will be comprised mainly, if not all, of men.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Sandgroper »

There used to be mixed shotgun (Skeet and Trap) events in the Olympics, the last time was in 1992 when (shock horror :o ) a woman won the Skeet event for the first time - then from 1996 all events were then split into either men or women only.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
rhysatkins
Home club or Range: LMRA

#10 Post by rhysatkins »

I think the one of the factors for dropping the 50m is japans strict gun laws. They just don't want the hassle.