M&P 15-22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

M&P 15-22

#1 Post by Nelly2014 »

As part of on-going improvements I fitted a JARD trigger a few months back. Not long after I began experiencing intermittent FTF's and suspected a set-up issue around the trigger area but I could find no fault.
This has gone on for a while and I was looking at ammo, mags, everything. Today by chance I had an opportunity to examine another 15-22 and noticed that the firing pin on mine appeared to be 'free-floating' compared to the other.
So it appears I have been using the rifle for ages with a broken firing pin.
What amazes me is that apart from a few stoppages the rifle has continued to give good service and even shot complete 25-40 sections with no FTF's. Good gun.
I obtained a new pin and fitted it this evening.
Hope it doesn't break again, I'll have to get some spares.
BamBam

Re: M&P 15-22

#2 Post by BamBam »

Maybe your hammer spring is a bit fierce and broke the pin. Thousands of rounds with CMC trigger in 15-22 with no issues.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

If you go on the S&W forum this appears to be quite common but intermittent if you know what I mean 5mith A fair few people have reported it but they're still in the vast minority....There didn't really be a common factor for people reporting broken pins though

Out of curiosity, where did you get the firing pin from? I know EMRR had them for a while but they've been out of stock for a while.
DVC
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

I wonder if ammo selection is a contributing factor. Shooters who favour HV ammo seem to suffer more failures than those who prefer Standard Velocity for example.
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

I only use CCI Mini-mag or Federal Gameshok in mine which I think are considered high velocity and fingerscrossed mines been fine so far. In fairness though its only had about 2-3000rds through it so far
DVC
Nelly2014

#6 Post by Nelly2014 »

Blackstuff wrote:If you go on the S&W forum this appears to be quite common but intermittent if you know what I mean 5mith A fair few people have reported it but they're still in the vast minority....There didn't really be a common factor for people reporting broken pins though

Out of curiosity, where did you get the firing pin from? I know EMRR had them for a while but they've been out of stock for a while.
A chap I know at the club gave me one of his spares.
I use Blazer or Federal.
I do wonder if I should put the original hammer spring back in as the one fitted now was in the kit.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Might as well give it a try. If the gun still fires reliably just leave it in there and see if you have any more breakages. If not happy days, if it does break time to keep looking
DVC
Nelly2014

#8 Post by Nelly2014 »

Shot a couple of hundred rounds at the range last night. After a couple of hiccups and adjustments I was at last able to fully appreciate how good the JARD trigger is, so light and at the same time positive. You can fire so fast it seems like a slow full auto.