Smith & wesson M&P15-22 ambidextrous safety

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

S1M
Home club or Range: Bisley

Smith & wesson M&P15-22 ambidextrous safety

#1 Post by S1M »

Hi has anyone fitted a different safety to a 15-22?.
I'm left handed so wanted to swap the safety switch to the other side, and I've read on another forum you can just swap the lever around, but I've not taken the rifle apart to look and wondered if anyone has or could confirm as I would assume you can't do this? But as it's fairly expensive for an ambidextrous switch I'd rather ask first before outlaying the money

Thanks
BamBam

Re: Smith & wesson M&P15-22 ambidextrous safety

#2 Post by BamBam »

Well you could fit one of these.

http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf ... /100010701

But swapping the safety round for cakhandedness would be just as involved as fitting one.

For the record, I have the ambi safety, but not a lefty, just enjoy a little extra safety :D
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

No, you can't just swap it over. The plunger and spring for the safety is on the right side of the pistol grip frame. Likewise, the channel in which the detent fits into the safety lever is on the "non lever side" so needs to be on the right. Simply swapping it over would not allow the lever to be held in either the safe or fire mode.

I too have also fitted the same ambi lever as BamBam above. They work really well and would be a worthwhile addition to any M&P. Alternatively, with a little practice, Leftys can learn to operate a standard lever with their firing hand trigger finger with a change of grip when applying or releasing...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
S1M
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by S1M »

Thanks I thought that might be the case with swapping it over, so I'll order the lever in the link thanks for your help

Sent from my boing using "An application"
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

Brownells offers free postage if you order over £100, order 2 and sell the other. ;)
andrew375

#6 Post by andrew375 »

Sim G wrote:No, you can't just swap it over. The plunger and spring for the safety is on the right side of the pistol grip frame. Likewise, the channel in which the detent fits into the safety lever is on the "non lever side" so needs to be on the right. Simply swapping it over would not allow the lever to be held in either the safe or fire mode.

I too have also fitted the same ambi lever as BamBam above. They work really well and would be a worthwhile addition to any M&P. Alternatively, with a little practice, Leftys can learn to operate a standard lever with their firing hand trigger finger with a change of grip when applying or releasing...
Yes you can swap it over, just like on any AR, I did it to mine. Take off the grip and you will find the grip holds in two small small springs with plungers attached. One is the detent for the safety the other for the take down pin. Pull out the safety detent, pull out the safety lever and install on the opposite side. Place the safety detent spring in the hole across from the hole it came from. Replace grip. Easy :D
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

On my M&P the only holes that either detent can go into are on the right side of the grip frame, there are none on the left. Likewise, the Smith safety lever has only one end of the shaft that has a channel for the detent to fit into for operation of the lever.

So your Smith has the option to locate the safety detent on either side of the grip frame?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!