The .22 rimfire at 240 yards

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

The .22 rimfire at 240 yards

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had to head out quickly to confirm zero on my trusty old Sako 75 22-250 yesterday afternoon, I have some new Lapua brass so I needed to make sure it was still on zero. Despite the bitter cold three of us headed off all with the same intention and we stuck some small steels and flashes on a bank and took up position on a raised section slightly overlooking the targets some 240 yards away and got down to the task. The plus side of a 22-250 is it is an incredibly flat shooting round and the 50 grain Vmax was only being pushed a couple of inches to the left despite a noticeable and icy wind.

I had thrown the mighty 520 Rimfire in the car with a box of CCI HP Subs and after some laughter it was pulled out and a friend stated shooting at the same targets at 240 yards and within a few shots was on the targets in fine style. I seldom shoot rimfire beyond 125 yards and was impressed to see the little 12.5" barrel semi auto doing so well, not bad for a rifle that cost a tenner delivered and has a set of air rifle rings and a 9X White tail 'scope that was a freebie. Who says you need a centre fire to shoot over 200 yards :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: The .22 rimfire at 240 yards

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Sounds like you had a great time! I once took my .22 CZ to Sennybridge F range for a laugh and hitting Fig 11s out to 300 yards was quite addicting. With the crazy wind, hits were down to luck more than anything else lol
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

It had us giggling :)

I was impressed at the groups the rifle held based on the splashes, certainly small rabbit sized so 6" and better at that distance with just the very occasional low shot and even then it was only 12" low. Considering they were all shot by holding off it certainly worked.

It makes me even more resolved to strip the trigger and polish/re-spring when I have decided on how to replace the pins which are flared at the ends.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#4 Post by Maggot »

I must admit I amlooking forward to being the owner of a spanking BAR22 with an elcan in a while dave.

Sadly I am stuck with range use only, but even then it will be a great fun little rifle.

Just a bloody shame about the funding coming how it has :cry:
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am sure you will enjoy the rifle Chris.
/d

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

A .22 BAR! WOW! Who is doing a BAR copy? any pictures?

John Moses Browning was a true firearms genius and the BAR a classic combat firearm, now I would spring money for one of those. Who is importing them as I assume it isn't UK made?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#7 Post by safetyfirst »

I suspect, by am often wrong, that it's a Bradley Arms AR15 type rifle? There is a .22 BAR in the wild from decades ago but I'd be surprised if you'd slap an Elcan on it, stand back and look pleased.