m&p 15-22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

m&p 15-22

#1 Post by bradaz11 »

now the G36 is gone, I'm putting in another variation for a .22, obvious choice is for a S&W M&P 15/22.

I went down the range yesterday and mentioned I'll be getting another .22, where I was then presented with a JP .22 rifle and told to buy it, It was an awesome rifle, but at £2000 give or take depending on which of his stocks I wanted and sights, I let him down gently

He then produced a 12" barreled, thread cut, reproffed 15/22 which had been cerakoted and baked. it is an older style with the quad rail. it is now silver/ light grey, with blaze orange controls. magpul Dark earth MOE pistol grip and Magpul stock also cerakoted like the gun. I loved the look of it. he didn't mention mags, or iron sights, £500

reassure me here, I can't go wrong with an M&P, can I?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

Re: m&p 15-22

#2 Post by ArcofZen »

Be assured, you cannot go wrong with an M&P 15-22!

I love mine, have had no issues at all with it and no FTF in many thousands of rounds which is good for a rimfire. I also often use subs and they have always cycled the action every time. The fact that they look cool, are light, easy to clean and have a million ways to customise them is also worth mentioning. They also hold their value well.

And if you do buy it & decide its not for you I expect you could move it on for what you paid for it, or thereabouts. If anything £500 seems a little on the high side to me but you'd need to find out about mags etc.

I think I paid £615 for mine (brand new) which was completely standard with the old style quad rail and one 25rnd magazine. I also managed to have a hard case thrown in for that so I was happy :good:
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

well looking around, I've seen 2 second hand at £550, this one should have a lower price due to the cerakote, but higher price for the cut down barrel, so it probably evens out. I guess I'll have to find out how many mags (if any) are going to come with it
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#4 Post by ArcofZen »

The mags run are around £25 for the standard capacity.

You won't find a 'cheap' 15-22 second hand, and if you do it'll be gone before you can buy it! I had one chance with one at £350 and while I was making my mind up it sold. Not seen one that cheap since.
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

A new 12" barreled 15-22 is around £750.

With cerakoting on a 15-22 the only thing is your mags might be a bit sticker in the magwell, but your stock should be tighter, they all have a wee bit of wobble as stock.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

Seems i got the price wrong. £600. Sights and 1 mag.
BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

If you can live with the colour scheme sounds like a decent deal.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#8 Post by Nelly2014 »

Depends what you want it for. If you are going to shoot comps then you'll need 4-6 mags. I love mine. I had the rare broken firing pin problem but it still shot reasonably well evenso. Now with a new pin back to super reliable.
As above, loads of upgrades available and doesn't need special HV ammo as Blazer or Federal cheap and cheerful works well. Trigger upgrade is a good idea. Buy it.
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#9 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

I have found that mine does not like waxy ammo but otherwise most works.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

Well at the minute I'm just practicing in the clubs informal practical nights. Once i have a stable platform to use rather than borrowing different guns each week, my times might start to come down a bit more.and then i can think about more formal comps.

I really like the colour scheme. Just wish it didn't have the quad rail on it.