sig 522 or CMMG ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: sig 522 or CMMG ?

#11 Post by Kungfugerbil »

^ Eley is pretty waxy. Did you try any copper washed stuff? My 522 loved minimags not just because of the reduced filth but the groups were a lot tighter.

I found the Sig a doddle to clean though; captive takedown pins and a straightforward bolt assembly meant I could pop the bolt out, clean it and pop it back in in under a minute. Picking the crud out from around the feedramp with a cocktail stick took longer, but was only required every ten visits or so.

To the OP - both very good rifles but the Sig is two thirds of the price and more available. I would probably choose a CMMG if there was one in front of me, but it seems like a pain to get hold of them.
Hunter87

#12 Post by Hunter87 »

Kungfugerbil wrote:^ Eley is pretty waxy. Did you try any copper washed stuff? My 522 loved minimags not just because of the reduced filth but the groups were a lot tighter.

I found the Sig a doddle to clean though; captive takedown pins and a straightforward bolt assembly meant I could pop the bolt out, clean it and pop it back in in under a minute. Picking the crud out from around the feedramp with a cocktail stick took longer, but was only required every ten visits or so.

To the OP - both very good rifles but the Sig is two thirds of the price and more available. I would probably choose a CMMG if there was one in front of me, but it seems like a pain to get hold of them.
It's more available for a reason!
BamBam

#13 Post by BamBam »

safetyfirst wrote:I have a stock straight from the box Cmmg with 30,000 rounds through it now. Lantac upgrades not essential, just nice I guess.
They don't cost anything more than a stock rifle, in fact last batch that were sold the price was lower than anyone else who was selling CMMG in the UK.

Next batch will have Ergo grips and Magpul trigger guards as standard, that's £35 of extras already.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Hunter87 wrote:It's more available for a reason!
Yes - they had a distributor rather than relying on individual retailers to try and get them brought over.

Excellent rifles for the money.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#15 Post by safetyfirst »

BamBam- yes, I've had mine for years, pre Lantac.

Cleaning, no, not required, my record was 5,000 rounds before cleaning. It was so dirty it didn't go into battery from the charging handle, only under its own blowback. Still shot fine. Very tolerant.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#16 Post by safetyfirst »

If you do get a CMMG let us know if you want any owners tips ;)
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#17 Post by Tommygunn »

I got the sig that had fired thousands of rounds moderator testing and it's fine for me, once I'd stripped the lower and excavated the sandpit/residue that'd accumulated there... Actually, even after the high round count it barely looked broken in internally.

No experience of CMMG but it sounds like they'd be a good call too
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

If it was a choice of those two I'd go for the CMMG every time. Its infinitely more upgradeable/self customisable and can accommodate full-bore upper receivers. Of course if you want to purposely restrict how much you want to spend on the rifle, that may not be the best option! lol
DVC
Hunter87

#19 Post by Hunter87 »

safetyfirst wrote:BamBam- yes, I've had mine for years, pre Lantac.

Cleaning, no, not required, my record was 5,000 rounds before cleaning. It was so dirty it didn't go into battery from the charging handle, only under its own blowback. Still shot fine. Very tolerant.
Got any pictures?
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#20 Post by safetyfirst »

Of my Cmmg or of the dirt that had built up after 5,000 rounds? ;)

Got lots of pics of my cmmg yes, it's jus had a genuine HK416C stock fitted and I'm about the remove the barrel to get it chopped down.