sig 522 or CMMG ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

BamBam

Re: sig 522 or CMMG ?

#21 Post by BamBam »

bradaz11 wrote:

I was looking at a fully decked out metal recievered .22 and it was weighed down like a target rifle with all that kit. not sure i'd want to shoot offhand with it for long!
Still lighter than a full bore AR and your best option for sub-munition practice.

Lantac started upgrading and selling the CMMG around 2011, I bought my first one(^) in 2012, sold it on after the 2014 Pro-Am. I had a 12" barrel 15-22 that fulfilled my mini-rifle needs.
Bought the 2nd CMMG when there was the option of a match chambered barrel, much tighter tolerance, so it does need more cleaning. It's a great shooter, better than my previous CMMG and vastly superior to the 15-22 in terms of accuracy, not just the barrel, but a 2-stage CMC trigger contributes to this.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#22 Post by safetyfirst »

Mine normally looks very similar! Same handguard, mount and scope. That trigger looks like a hiperfire 24c which I have on my Lantac Raven.
BamBam

#23 Post by BamBam »

Yes, 24C. Tried it in the 15-22 and it didn't work very well, so fitted a single stage CMC, which works extremely well and sold the 24C trigger with the CMMG. Current owner still happy with the 2lb spring set.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#24 Post by breacher »

safetyfirst wrote:Of my Cmmg or of the dirt that had built up after 5,000 rounds? ;)

Got lots of pics of my cmmg yes, it's jus had a genuine HK416C stock fitted and I'm about the remove the barrel to get it chopped down.
What length you going for ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Odd Job

#25 Post by Odd Job »

Kungfugerbil wrote:^ Eley is pretty waxy. Did you try any copper washed stuff? My 522 loved minimags not just because of the reduced filth but the groups were a lot tighter
On my SIG (which Tommygunn now has) it was much more reliable with CCI minimag and no moderator. Far less fouling of the works. The issue I had was shooting large quantities of "dirtier" rounds with a moderator. There's a lot more fouling of the internals when shooting with a moderator.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#26 Post by safetyfirst »

Not sure yet. I've yet to measure up in the 60/30 box....
chapps
Home club or Range: Burgess Hill TSC

#27 Post by chapps »

I had a 522 target for a number of years. It was a lovely rifle but desperately needed a trigger tune out of the box, which once done made a huge difference. There are a number of videos on YouTube on how to swap out the trigger spring, how to make a new one from an ar15 hammer spring, but I also had to have the sears polished s it was still very creepy. The problem with the standard stringer spring is that. You cannot feel through the trigger once the slack has been taken up and you are on the sear and about to break.