sig 522 or CMMG ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

sig 522 or CMMG ?

#1 Post by Dellboy »

After much thought ive narrowed my rimfire toy choice to Sig 522 or a CMMG

Any thoughts or guidance ?

Tried the S W at the shooting show and couldnt get over the lack of weight sp deleted that as a candidate

Whats the problem areas with the CMMG (its not the lantac one as i cant get a reply ) or the SIG ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

BamBam

Re: sig 522 or CMMG ?

#2 Post by BamBam »

Both good rifles, either will be a good choice.

The CMMG has the edge when it comes to availability of upgrade parts.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021

#3 Post by Dellboy »

Any idea what Lantac do to their version ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

ar15 listed it out in his most recent sales post/replies.

remember only the stock 15/22 is that light, soon as you put a meatier stock, foregrip and sights on, the weight starts to feel a lot better, plus then the fully loaded mag.

I was looking at a fully decked out metal recievered .22 and it was weighed down like a target rifle with all that kit. not sure i'd want to shoot offhand with it for long!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

Dellboy wrote:Any idea what Lantac do to their version ?
A few things, true the upper receiver, polish the chamber and feedramp, refine the trigger, replace the grip and trigger guard, fit full length dust cover and remove the 9mm style shell deflector. A few other things that I've forgotten probably. Mostly they make it more accurate, reliable and improve the appearance. Handguards and magpul stocks etc are extra.

I've had 2, my 2nd one has a match chambered barrel and shoots as tight a group as my old Volquarstsen barreled 10/22.

My mate got his Sig 522 from a member here on F-B, shoots quite well and apart from the extractor disappearing no issues... Even with the extractor missing it still works, so it is a reliable rifle. If anything I would have not gotten a SWAT version like he has and gone for the target model with the free float barrel.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021

#6 Post by Dellboy »

BamBam wrote:
Dellboy wrote:Any idea what Lantac do to their version ?
A few things, true the upper receiver, polish the chamber and feedramp, refine the trigger, replace the grip and trigger guard, fit full length dust cover and remove the 9mm style shell deflector. A few other things that I've forgotten probably. Mostly they make it more accurate, reliable and improve the appearance. Handguards and magpul stocks etc are extra.

I've had 2, my 2nd one has a match chambered barrel and shoots as tight a group as my old Volquarstsen barreled 10/22.

My mate got his Sig 522 from a member here on F-B, shoots quite well and apart from the extractor disappearing no issues... Even with the extractor missing it still works, so it is a reliable rifle. If anything I would have not gotten a SWAT version like he has and gone for the target model with the free float barrel.
was that the one that had shot loads of rounds testing moderators ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

No, different rifle.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

I have a stock straight from the box Cmmg with 30,000 rounds through it now. Lantac upgrades not essential, just nice I guess.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#9 Post by DanTheMan »

safetyfirst wrote:I have a stock straight from the box Cmmg with 30,000 rounds through it now. Lantac upgrades not essential, just nice I guess.
Same here, I did drop in a CMC trigger but they are still ace rifles even when standard.
Odd Job

#10 Post by Odd Job »

Regarding the CMMG, does it need frequent cleaning?
The problem I had with my SIG522 was I couldn't get through 500 rounds of Eley Sport or RWS target Rifle without taking the bolt out and cleaning it (and the chamber). Granted, I fire 500 rounds per session but the SIG could not handle it. I put it down to tow factors:

1) The bolt face is flat where it meets the barrel, which is also flat. There is nowhere for any build-up of residues to go. The residues get compacted in a thin layer of crud which eventually results in light strikes.

2) The firing pin channel is exposed to the extractor channel. Dirt can get in to that channel but it cannot come out easily since the firing pin has to come out if you want to clean that channel. If you get enough dirt in it, the pin cannot travel the full length of the channel and you will get light strikes also.

My R55 benchmark does not suffer from these problems because it hasn't got a single surface "mate" between bolt face and barrel, and the firing pin is exposed along its full length across the top of the bolt. It will eat more than 500 rounds of any waxy round without a failure, even shooting with a well-leaded moderator!

If I could find a military-style rifle with that R55 bolt and barrel setup I would have it made. Sadly I haven't found such an animal yet!

By the way I am also in the market for a new .22 to replace the SIG522 I sold. My main requirement is reliability, a threaded barrel, semi-auto and reasonable accuracy.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.