Whats the hottest rimfire round?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Whats the hottest rimfire round?

#11 Post by Kungfugerbil »

dromia wrote:Following on from the previous post to my last but one post, I was asking about the 17 WSM ammunition, are you getting plenty of that?
Apologies, I'll be quiet :D
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#12 Post by Les »

Gazza, are you looking for the hottest in terms of speed, or hitting power, or accuracy, or .......... what exactly?
Gazza

#13 Post by Gazza »

Les wrote:Gazza, are you looking for the hottest in terms of speed, or hitting power, or accuracy, or .......... what exactly?
Speed and accuracy initially Les as hitting power wont really matter on the range unless the paper has got thicker :D
I aim to try as many different velocities/weights etc and document the best I can what the rifle likes.
Probably more of a paper excercise than anything but should keep me off the street for a bit lol
Some of those Aguila rimfire cartridges look like Armour piercing rounds, they're not but look like them. Dont recall anyone round here selling those which is a shame as I'd put them on the list.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#14 Post by kennyc »

dromia wrote:Following on from the previous post to my last but one post, I was asking about the 17 WSM ammunition, are you getting plenty of that?
thought the problem was getting the rifles? ammo seems to be OK
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Gazza wrote:
Les wrote:Gazza, are you looking for the hottest in terms of speed, or hitting power, or accuracy, or .......... what exactly?
Speed and accuracy initially Les as hitting power wont really matter on the range unless the paper has got thicker :D
I aim to try as many different velocities/weights etc and document the best I can what the rifle likes.
Probably more of a paper excercise than anything but should keep me off the street for a bit lol
Some of those Aguila rimfire cartridges look like Armour piercing rounds, they're not but look like them. Dont recall anyone round here selling those which is a shame as I'd put them on the list.

Very, very rarely will the fastest prove to be the most accurate...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gazza

#16 Post by Gazza »

Sim G wrote:
Gazza wrote:

Very, very rarely will the fastest prove to be the most accurate...
Enlighten me Mr G :good:
I am relatively new to all this so any accurate info will help. The new rifle is a semi auto so probably will not like the slow stuff but I'll try all I can none the less.
DL.

#17 Post by DL. »

Rimfires are typically 1:16" twist rate or there abouts.

Combine a hypervelocity rimfire round, with a short barrel and a less than optimum twist rate and you don't have all the factors necessary for the bullet to stabilise well and produce good groups.

Good fun trying something fast though, I just felt stingers chambered badly and were probably going to wear the mechanism of my precious rifle if I used them excessively. They're also bloody loud.
Gazza

#18 Post by Gazza »

So with a hypervelocity round and a 1/16 twist what would be the ideal barrel length?
DL.

#19 Post by DL. »

Over 20"+ according to these ideas being bounced around from across the pond-
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=377675
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#20 Post by JS569 »

At the opposite end of the scale my factory standard ruger 10/22 loves winchester hollow point subs. It just demonstrates you don't necessarily need fast rounds to cycle an action but i guess it depends on the type of rifle.