Are there any NRA Open Days at Bisley this year?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Quarters

Are there any NRA Open Days at Bisley this year?

#1 Post by Quarters »

Hi All
I can't see any on the calendar on the NRA Website. Normally you can book the May one online by now. Does anybody know if there are any this year?
happycallis
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Are there any NRA Open Days at Bisley this year?

#2 Post by happycallis »

Wouldn't mind knowing myself to be fair, hopefully IanWR picks up this thread as he may know.
karen

#3 Post by karen »

Iain's been a bit busy but as far as I know there is one on Sat 3 May - no idea why they haven't opened bookings yet. Don't even know who organises from the office side of things anymore but try calling 01483 797777 ext 125 (Reception) and they should know.
happycallis
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by happycallis »

Cheers Karen, your a star.
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#5 Post by Steve E »

Have spoken to the NRA today and there is indeed going to be an open day of sorts on the 3 May.
It will not be in the same format as previous years. All rifle shooting will be conducted on Stickledown at 900 or 1000yds. There will be some events on Melville for gallery rifle. I get the impression from the NRA that it will be organised more on the line of a very large guest day, in that members will be encouraged to bring their friends along to introduce them to shooting rather than opening it up to the general public to come and have ago. There should be something on the NRA website in the next couple of weeks.
JSHarris
Home club or Range: Old Windsor

#6 Post by JSHarris »

No,
May 3rd is no longer an open day.
It will now be used as a discipline day to allow both NRA and non NRA members to try another style of shooting and get some coaching while the they do so. This follows the very successful CSR discipline day run by Peter C and ably assisted by a lot of the CSR regulars , I would name them but they would get all bashful and shy....... details went out in an email circular on sunday and should be on website.
Tomo

#7 Post by Tomo »

I went to three open days at Bisley last year, two NRASC days and one of the two main NRA days held in September.

I took my 70 year old father and my younger brother to the NRASC open days last year and both of them had an absolute blast. My dads been on at me all of this year to see about when he could go back. I'd already told him that Bisley had cancelled their two main open days, but I said that I had hopes that the NRASC would have at least one day this year. I've emailed them two or three times to see if any were planned and got responses along the lines of 'check later in the year' or 'after the Imperial in July'. The last email I recevied at the end of July finally admitted that they were no longer sure if the NRASC were going to have any open days this year, mentioned a change of membership managment very shortly and suggested that it may be discussed in future meetings...........suffice to say I'm not holding my breath!

What a shame - all three days I attended last year were rammed. It gave normal members of the public a chance to try the sport out for themselves and hopefully persuaded some to go for their own licences. Fingers crossed we'll see some open days in 2015..............