What .357 under lever?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

Re: What .357 under lever?

#11 Post by Swamp Donkey »

pbrazendale wrote:Would love a marlin however I spoke to a chap at Dauntsey guns and he said the new Remlin isn't made in .357 anymore only .44, also I've heard horror stories and as someone fairly new to the shooting world I wouldn't know how to identify a good original marlin.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
I didnt say remlin. I try not to swear.

I know of a proper, pre rem marlin, in 357 local to you. Well, guessing local by the 'Dauntsey' part

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#12 Post by Dark Skies »

I have the Winchester Trapper in .357 - no issues with the lifter some 1000 rounds down the road. Have located a source for one to keep as a spare. Very accurate still - just taken a gold in our Summer postal comp.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Whizzbang

#13 Post by Whizzbang »

I'd try and find a pre-Remington Marlin. My .357 and .45 have seen thousands of rounds over last ten years: Accurate and reliable. The .357 was good enough for gold in 25m precision at the Bisley Phoenix on the one occasion I entered a precision event.
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#14 Post by pbrazendale »

I'm actually based in the north, Manchester to be specific, I mentioned dauntsey as I have heard good things and the wife's parents live down south so could always call by when down. What sort of cost would I be looking at for a pre Remington marlin? Also what should I be looking out for as red flags.

Thanks

pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#15 Post by pbrazendale »

Hi, FAC will still be a few weeks off I think, just doing some research whilst I'm waiting, thanks though.

dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#16 Post by dodgyrog »

Dark Skies wrote:I have the Winchester Trapper in .357 - no issues with the lifter some 1000 rounds down the road. Have located a source for one to keep as a spare. Very accurate still - just taken a gold in our Summer postal comp.
I bought a lovely Winchester that had only been used for single loading, I tried the thing using magazine fed rounds and the lifter broke straight away. It's a shame really as it is very accurate and lovely to shoot. I still use it as a single shot for my postal comps.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

I think Uberti makes better Winchesters than Winchester.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#18 Post by the running man »

signfunnypost
dromia wrote:I think Uberti makes better Winchesters than Winchester.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#19 Post by the running man »

As to op,all depends what you wanna shoot really, the Winchesters and uberti etc are just right for all types of western type comps or just plain old plinking, the marlin however is easy to clean,side ejecting,and can be tuned very easily by your own hand, with a wealth of parts available for it too....one can also mount a scope if that's your desire.....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#20 Post by Mattnall »

pbrazendale wrote:What sort of cost would I be looking at for a pre Remington marlin?
I've seen 44mag marlins go for a realistic £400 to a crazy four figure sum for similar condition. Don't be tempted to pay twice the new cost on one. I can only assume it is the same for a 357 version.
My son bought a '79 made 1894 for £400 less than a year ago, it is a very nice and accurate rifle and the only difference from my own 25 year old 1894S I bought from new is the safety. It looks and performs as good.
They are out there and at sensible prices.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.