SVD Dragunov scope hight

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

s.stimson
Home club or Range: Bristol Muzzle loaders

SVD Dragunov scope hight

#1 Post by s.stimson »

I am very close to putting in a variation to my FAC to add an Dragunov to my collection, but I am considering running none original optics on it (I'm sure the purists are at this very moment preparing to lynch me) so will need to run a side rail to weaver adaptor. My question is, with using the rail will it raise the scope too hight to maintain a reasonable cheek weld?

Whilst I have got you answering questions, can the trigger be easily improved / replaced?
I own "pretendy" rifles and muzzle brakes, and I'm not afraid to to use them
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: SVD Dragunov scope hight

#2 Post by froggy »

When I bought mine I had 1st dib on an Israeli pikachu side rail. It looked about the same hight as the original.

IMO, capitalist ruse for exploit naive proletaria and make mount inferior imperialist optics on perfect Soviet rifle ... Best Siberian Rope made ready here !! ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

IMO stick with original Russian scope & mount..... ussrflag
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#4 Post by froggy »

+1 ,
In my case, the SVD came with its originally issued PSO-1. I subsequently got a 1P21, also Russian. Despite looking awesome, it is still the PSO that sits on top . I understand that maybe you have "a fav scope" you want to use with it but the original combo is light and I like the simplicity of the stadiametric rangefinder combined with the speed of use of the elevation bullet drop compensated turret. Same for the trigger which is quite light & pleasant for a combat military rifle . It is not a "match rifle" & I never shoot past 500 meters with it. Therefore, IMO, the original package (scope & trigger) is about as perfect as it is for what I do with it. No doubt the rifle easily out-shoots me & at that stage, I didn't feel the need to play with it.

Your rifle, your money, so you will do what you want with it but the original military one (I can t speak of the Tigger) IMO is quite nice as it is ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#5 Post by Zilberbak »

I am generally not a purist but have to say that the POSP scope l have on mine lends itself to the rifle in ability and looks even with its toggle switch for illuminating the reticle. The trigger is fine long pull but fairly crisp. The only thing l have added is a Lynx bipod adapter, which allows me to fit any bipod l want as not a fan of the standard SVD one. Interestingly l read a review yesterday of a side Picatinny rail announced on The Firearm Blog that sits tight to the top cover and allows the open sights to be used as well and it's Russian.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

As other Tovarischi have said the best scope for a SVD is either an original milspec Soviet PSO-1 produced by NPZ in Novosibirsk, Russia or a Belarusian civilian POSP version from the BeLoMo plant in Minsk.The POSP versions are based on the PSO-1 but often don't have a 7.62x54r BDC elevation turret and usually have a stadiametric rangefinder based on a 0.5/1.5m high target whereas an original PSO-1 has a 1.7m rangefinder (average man size!).The original PSO-1 also has an IR detector built in, which was omitted on the later PSO-1M2 version as by then most armies had ceased using active IR.

An original PSO-1 will usually be more expensive than a new POSP scope as they are quite collectable, especially an Izhmash manufactured one.
Despite only being a 4x scope I shoot mine out to 900m on Fig11s and it is beautifully clear despite being around 47 years old and the reticle is perfect for allowing for windage etc and is also very clear.Matched to the SVD it is in it's element from 300-800m which is the sort of distances the Russians would engage at with the Dragunov.

The side mount/ Weaver scope ring option will indeed sit the chosen optic very high, I have shot one like that and found it was more of a chin weld than a cheek weld.When using a side mounted scope like a PSO-1 or a POSP the scope height in conjunction with the original cheek rest gives near perfect alignment and the rubber eyepiece gives the correct eye relief.Although the Russian/Belarusian optics are offset to the left rather than central with the bore it feels very natural in a short time (it did for me anyway) they also allow the iron sights to be used without removing the scope.

The SVD trigger is not readily replaced as it is a complete unit and aftermarket triggers are pretty much non-existent (I've never seen one) but as already said it is good for a military trigger with around a 3lb pull (Yevgeny Dragunov was primarily a designer of target and biathlon rifles) but it can be improved on a bit with careful smoothing and polishing.The trigger and action on mine is very smooth as the bolt etc has also been smoothed and polished, although not much is required as they are hand finished at the factory.

PSO-1 top, 1p21 bottom.....I won't go in to the 1p21 or I'll be here all night!

PSO-1 reticle.....which can be illuminated at night at the flick of a switch.

6x24 POSP I aquired of a guy in Latvia the other week, it had been bodged onto a Mosin and required a new mount and some TLC......quite an early scope as the main body is a PSO one with the IR switch and charging window blanked and it has a German #1 reticle with no stadiametric rangefinder.

The Russian lady with the PSO-1 fitted....
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#7 Post by breacher »

I had a picatinny mount and leupold on mine. Cheek weld was fine. There are two heights available and the low one has rail a couple of mm off the dust cover.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

If you want go go down the alternative scope route this mount is probably your best bet as it will sit the scope low enough......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-rise-BP-0 ... SwAoRXF61Q

Zahal in Israel also do some nice quality mounts for the SVD.....

http://www.zahal.org/products/drogunov- ... cope-mount
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#9 Post by breacher »

I used the Ebay one - nice and low.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#10 Post by Sixshot6 »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... vd-rifles/

Coming soon and Russian Made.

If you can't wait I swear by the mount being offered by Zahal, I swear by Fab defense products and zahal are great at shipping stuff to the uk.