VZ58 magwell adaptor and Emags

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

VZ58 magwell adaptor and Emags

#1 Post by Brian838 »

I've fitted the CSA magwell adapter to my VZ58 mars, but as I was having issues getting hold of the recommended metal magazines (I only had one slightly battered metal Colt magazine from years back), I bought some poly Emags that could be modified for use.
I wanted to check the function of each Emag using drill rounds before I carried out any modifications and I found that all of them fitted into the magwell ok (two of them did need a slightly firmer push in) and all of them dropped free when empty without any modification. I also cycled the rifle with drill rounds and found that the last round BHO worked without needing any material removed from the back of the mags.
The issue I have is that there is now some loose movement between the magwell adaptor and the receiver where the replacement mag catch is, whereas before, there was no movement and everything felt very solid when I first fitted it.
I'm worried that I may have damaged something by trying out the un-modified mags or is this just to be expected as the magwell adapter is plastic and will become looser at some point anyway? I've only used my metal Colt mag on the range so far.
Also, does anyone know if there is a metal magwell adaptor available anywhere? I hear that Scott was working on an Aluminium adaptor but that has gone quiet.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: VZ58 magwell adaptor and Emags

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

It may be worth looking on the Vz58 subforum on ar15.com, loads of Vz info on there.On ar15.com click on "AK47" then near the bottom of the page click on "Vz58"
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

A little bit of wobble is normal in the poly adaptor

FYI theres also this forum for VZ's too;

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=67.0
DVC
pigsy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by pigsy »

Hi,

I had the same issue when I fitted the magwell adaptor on the VZ. There was a little bit of movement but I've had no issues with both Metal Colt mags or PMags over the last year or so.

However, when I bought the kit off Scott last year at Bisley Phoenix he did recommend a bit removal of plastic at the top of the Pmags for a better fit.

Pigsy.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#5 Post by Fedaykin »

Considering the Mag well adaptor from CSA is slotting into the Mag well for the steel Vz58 magazine that leaves little spare space hence the issue with plastic mags. I have yet to find one that fits in mine and pretty much have given up on it as an idea.

I use surplus H&K L85A2 steel mags in my Vz58 with good success Brian838, I got them all from militaria collectors fairs. I have a stack of them now (sorry none are for sale), generally I have seen a few kicking about at militaria collectors fairs.

Radway Green L85A1 magazines also work perfectly fine albeit they don't have the anti tilt followers and lack the solidity of the H&K product.

I suggest that you get yourself to a collectors fair, if that is not possible several web based deac selling shops have them at a fairly reasonable price. Don't worry about surface wear with them they are VERY solid!

Here are few for sale:

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Britis ... /2876.html
http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/milit ... _3129.html
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

P-mags, E-mags and FAB Ultimags all work fine in my gun once the simple mod is done :good:

I've now got Colt steel and GI aluminium mags which also work although the steel mags don't operate the BHO
DVC
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Just posting this for someone to find from Youtube;

Cut/file this part of the rear magazine rib:

You may also need to file the upper portion of the magazine catch slot on the magazine for an easy fit.
DVC
leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#8 Post by leeroy7031 »

Pmag Gen 3 work fine, Emags and Gen2 need to be modified.

Be aware of the colts which can sometimes sit a little high in the adapter and fracture the plastic magwel.
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#9 Post by Zilberbak »

Just to join in with the concensus that the mag well adapter appears a bit of a sloppy fit but mine takes all of the above except that it takes a good push to get the Magpul and FabDefense ones to engage. I bought some ali mags off of Brownells and they slip in easy.

Not to hijack the thread but the Magpul Zhukov stock IMHO looks good as it seems to integrate with the receiver really well especially putting the original handguards back on. Expensive to do as you need the RS stock adapter to get the Yugo version of the Zhukov to fit on. Magpul left out the QD cups as well hence the flying rifle strap, had a cup but not a screw & nut so picked up today.
Attachments
VZ58 Zhukov (640x317).jpg
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#10 Post by Sixshot6 »

Zilberbak wrote:Just to join in with the concensus that the mag well adapter appears a bit of a sloppy fit but mine takes all of the above except that it takes a good push to get the Magpul and FabDefense ones to engage. I bought some ali mags off of Brownells and they slip in easy.

Not to hijack the thread but the Magpul Zhukov stock IMHO looks good as it seems to integrate with the receiver really well especially putting the original handguards back on. Expensive to do as you need the RS stock adapter to get the Yugo version of the Zhukov to fit on. Magpul left out the QD cups as well hence the flying rifle strap, had a cup but not a screw & nut so picked up today.
Where did you get the Yugo Zhukov stock? I've been wanting to put one on my 7.62x39 MARS. I know RS Regulate ships from Canada but this is the first time I've seen a Yugo version of that stock in the uk?