SGC Lever release rifles

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Dangermouse

SGC Lever release rifles

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

Has anyone purchased the latest designs of the SGC lever release systems in 9mm, 45 or .223/5.56 Cal?

I had one of the original unicorns but had to give it up as it was not reliable enough for competition work. I am wondering if the designs have now progressed to a stage where by I can take them into a competition without having stoppages.

Any first hand knowledge?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: SGC Lever release rifles

#2 Post by Sim G »

Two guys have them in our club. One has a 9mm and the other in both .45 and .223. The 9mm Ive shot a little with no issues and it ran with all manner of aftermarket Glock mags. The .45 I have shot a lot!! He runs it on lead bullet reloads and I've yet to experience a stoppage! It's nicer to shoot than the 9mm to my mind. Less snappy but it's a big heavy old bolt flying forward and trying to maintain anything meaningful with a sight picture is a skill in itself!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the .45 seemed more accurate as well, but that could just be down to the loads each are using.

I've not shot his .223 yet, but he is impressed enough to have pre-ordered a .308 version when released.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by mr smith »

Only put a hundred rounds through my 9mm so far so can't tell too much.The advice I've been given is to replace the supplied buffer with a crosshair hydraulic one to smooth out the cycle.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by Pinguino »

Purchased an SGC lever release in .223 very recently (well I actually purchased it ages ago but it took along time to get built) - have only put a few hundred through it to date, but mightlily reliable so far.
Accurate for comps if you feed it 69gr Sierra Match King HPBT
ovy

#5 Post by ovy »

A friend of mine has one in 9mm and .223. They both shoot really well and he has had no problems at all. The .223 will be a year old in December and it's had all kinds through it from steel case/mil surp and now using S&B 55gr will good results out to 350-400m.
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

Sounds good for the .223 but I still need reassuring re the pistol calibres, having to replace the buffer tube doesn't convince me that the system is working flawlessly or as good as we can expect.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
duff eyed doyle
Home club or Range: OSM at Bisley

#7 Post by duff eyed doyle »

I bought one in 9mm a couple of months ago shot just over 700 rounds through S&B 115gn factory FMJ. Not had any problems rifle functions as it should.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

Dangermouse wrote:Sounds good for the .223 but I still need reassuring re the pistol calibres, having to replace the buffer tube doesn't convince me that the system is working flawlessly or as good as we can expect.

DM
I got your rifle a lot more reliable by using brownells plastic 9mm AR mags.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#9 Post by HALODIN »

I've shot the 9mm version and it was perfect as far as I could tell. It was so nice I want one myself.
mr_purple

#10 Post by mr_purple »

My 9mm is a very early Uzi version .
It has worked fantastically well for the duration .
I would only say it can be ammo weight fussy, the 115gr fmj heads are slightly pointier than the 124gr that are fractionally more shouldered . The lighter weight helps feed issues better on my gun and I think it was more widely known that the early guns liked 115 better .
Lead has caused no feed issues but again these are a pointier profile .