Almost an M1A

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: Almost an M1A

#11 Post by Andy632 »

Zilberbak wrote:Had a very short play with it last night as got in late.

The mag was out so may well be because of this. So what is charging procedure?

Have some dummy rounds and will spend time tonight getting to know the whys and wherefores and also strip it down.

With mine the bolt only holds open with a magazine fitted.
For charging, fit mag, either press bolt release (left side) or else pull back bolt slightly and let it fly forward. (err keep fingers out of the way as it's very similar to the Garand and might bite you!)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#12 Post by Zilberbak »

Sussed, the bolt assembly just came out of the receiver by itself so took everything apart and could see where the bolt roller sits in the groove of the operating rod/charging handle . Put all of it back togetherwith the roller married to the groove and the bolt now springs where it should be. Spent a dumb 5 minutes trying to get the bolt in before realising you need to depress the bolt catch. Didnt like my home made dummies as bolt locked up suggests a head space issue as it chambered and ejected a couple of Snapcaps with no problem. Everything seems to be functioning now and at least l know now how easy it is to pull apart.

Thought my Dragunov action was strong but the M14 seems pretty much the same, wont be putting my fingers in there too often.

Should there be a guide rod where the piston would have sat as this might throw the charging handle out of line which is why the roller came out of the groove?
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#13 Post by HALODIN »

That's only ever happened to me whilst reassembling the rifle, never whilst in use. I suspect someone's had it apart. I don't think anything's missing.
rufrdr

#14 Post by rufrdr »

Whoever last had it apart didn't line up the oprod with the bolt when dropping the oprod into the notch on the track when it was reassembled. It is a bit tricky do at first.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#15 Post by Zilberbak »

A trip to Orion range in mid-Wales today with some GGG Match and everything working as it should do. Even the scope was well enough ranged in to take out a clay at a hundred with the first shot. Good feed and extraction.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#16 Post by bnz41 »

Excellent, welcome to the M1A/M14 club... bangbang
markymark

#17 Post by markymark »

Zilberbak,

I absolutely love your Rifle. I am currently in the process for another .308 variation on my ticket, with the hope of getting an M14/M1A Straight pull. I have a few questions I would like to ask you if you don't mind.....

I don't have access to PM at the moment being a new member, but would very much appreciate if you could message me so I could ask you a few questions on your rifle.

Are there many other Full-Bore members who have an LDT M14?

Many thanks,

Mark
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#18 Post by HALODIN »

I don't believe you can use the PM system either inbound or outbound, until you've wracked up some more meaningful posts. I think it's 15 posts.

I have one ask away.
markymark

#19 Post by markymark »

Excellent thank you.

I am also looking at the LDT M14, specially the Socom scout as the same as the OP.
Now the website states its a 14" barrel but others have commented that it's 16". Or is it the case of 14" with the muzzle brake making it 16"? Does it just thread on, if so what are the threads on the barrel. Could one fit a end of muzzle suppressor if they wanted to?

14" or 16" has anyone chrono'ed what velocity they are getting? Even with just GGG? Anyone know the barrel twist rate for this rifle? The short barrel doesn't bother me too much as I have a few precision tools already. For me this is an iron sights rifle up to 300m for a bit of fun.

Have considered the 22" variant and chopping it down to 16 or 18" but then I'm not sure if that would affect the iron sights that have been put on.

The Socom scout also comes with a synthetic stock. What is that like? Of decent quality, or is it very hollow or better getting the Scout config put in the wooden stock?

I haven't read any issues with extraction with this specific LDT variant but I know some straight pulls do. Is there any other potential issues that I should be made aware of?

Does anyone have a phone number for oakrise arms?

I'm sure there will be other questions but I've asked enough for now!

Thanks again
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#20 Post by bnz41 »

Reference Oakrise phone number go on his web site look for legal Notice section his number is there. I have got through to him on that number.

I also have M14 but mine is the standard long barrel wood version so sadly do not know any ansewers to your questions about synthetic stock or cutting barrel down will affect the re fitting of the front sight or if the muzzle brake is removeable and what thread.
Mine has no issues with extraction with any ammo I have tried this bought GGG RWS PPU and my reloads.