Almost an M1A

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

markymark

Re: Almost an M1A

#21 Post by markymark »

bnz41 - Thanks for the help and advice. Didn't see the number in the legal section!

Also btw, didn't want to come across rude. I was 100% sure I had done a forum introduction but my post count shows no history of it?? Didn't want to join the forum and just start asking away without saying hello.....
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#22 Post by bnz41 »

Not too late to do a forum introduction.
markymark

#23 Post by markymark »

bnz41 wrote:Not too late to do a forum introduction.
Done!
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#24 Post by HALODIN »

Sorry I can't answer your questions either, they're very specific to the socom model, I have the full length M14 in the EBR chassis. My rifle has a 111.8cm barrel, 6 groves and has a 1:10 twist if that paints a picture.

Here's a chart from Visier Magazine that shows the full length rifle's accuracy.

ImageImage

http://luxdeftec.eu/ldt%20products/ldt% ... ndard.html
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#25 Post by Zilberbak »

The stock is OK but there was already a couple of scuff marks on the finish when I bought it. I have added a Blackhawk strap-on (stop it!) padded cheek riser to get a better cheek weld for using the scope and I have ordered a set of rings with one of them giving a 2" offset to get a better eye relief and possibly fit a Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle.

The latest Visier (Jan 2017) has a review of the LDT SOCOM albeit in German, which you can buy as a download. This updates the various ammunition grouping to the SOCOM and gives various bits of technical information but I couldn't see a barrel twist rate.

It shoots GGG well and from memory RWS Match gave a good group in the above review.

All in all love the rifle and as it is quite weighty the recoil is pretty well controlled.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
markymark

#26 Post by markymark »

Zilberbak wrote:The stock is OK but there was already a couple of scuff marks on the finish when I bought it. I have added a Blackhawk strap-on (stop it!) padded cheek riser to get a better cheek weld for using the scope and I have ordered a set of rings with one of them giving a 2" offset to get a better eye relief and possibly fit a Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle.

The latest Visier (Jan 2017) has a review of the LDT SOCOM albeit in German, which you can buy as a download. This updates the various ammunition grouping to the SOCOM and gives various bits of technical information but I couldn't see a barrel twist rate.

It shoots GGG well and from memory RWS Match gave a good group in the above review.

All in all love the rifle and as it is quite weighty the recoil is pretty well controlled.

Great thanks for that info, tried to find my around to get the article but didn't get very far! Should have paid more attention in German class at school.

Would you be kind enough to post up more pictures of your socom, or email them to me?

Looking forward to getting my hands on one. Are you able to confirm barrel length? Also if the muzzle brake is threaded on? Depending on that depends if I bother to ask for another moderator slot on my ticket.

Cheers
markymark

#27 Post by markymark »

Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#28 Post by Zilberbak »

The review says that the barrel length is 500 mm (20") including the 4-prong flash hider, which looking at the photo in the review is removable (as I was thinking of retro-fitting the Springfield muzzle break subject to checking out the threads being compatible as they should being built to milspec).

The rail system is made by UTG of all people and appear to be good quality.

I ordered a M14 Harris stud from Brownells, which I fitted after cutting the back plate down significantly as it would not fit in the stock recess as it needs to in order for the front "U" to engage the action back in to the stock.

I did have one stuck case, which needed a rubber mallet to aid removal of but a quick spray of 3in1 into the mag after loading it and a bit of a shake around seemed to cure everything. There was a field debate that some military rifle prefer steel cases to brass.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
markymark

#29 Post by markymark »

Well I spoke to Oakrise arms, and it turns out that LDT have stopped making the M14 in the Socom variant due to lack of sales.

Cheers,

Mark
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#30 Post by bradaz11 »

that's a shame, that's the one I'd have had too
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns