What .357 under lever?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: What .357 under lever?

#31 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote:I dont understand why people scope underlevers either. But there is nowt so queer as folk.
Likewise.....and so true.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#32 Post by Sim G »

Seriously? Why not scope a lever gun? Two of my modern Marlins carry low powered Leupold scopes. The .357 a 2-7x variable and the .44 a 2.bowl IER. For their modern day use of targe shooting in the pistol derived cof, the low powered scopes are fast and accurate. Quicker and more accurate than irons.

My .30-30 Marlins carry a tang aperture and a receiver peep sight respectively. But, I have a rail and a 3-9x variable for game. How many of you decrying a scoped lever gun will confidently take a shot at a live animal, with iron sights, beyond what, 40 yards?

Lever guns are a mechanism that have survived the test of time. Their origins are clearly with the Volcanic Repeating Arms of 1855, but they have evolved to take bang upto date ammunition and purpose designed bullets. They are as current as anything else on the market and offer a greater flexibility than a lot of the in vogue rifles.

Ultimately, scoping a lever gun is also as period as it is contemporary. As mentioned above, the lever guns origins were in 1855, as are lever gun scopes. William Malcolm started making his telescopic sights in 1855. I have reference books that show big bore lever Winchesters fitted with long barrels and Malcolm scopes in off set mounts from the 1870s. Rifles from the 1890s fitted with Malcolm's Short Scope as well.

And I have an 1899 manufactured Marlin 1894, in .25-20 with a special order 28" barrel and original Malcolm mounts, but unfortunately, no scope. This makes perfect sense when you look at a 60gn .25-20 will get up there to 2200fps. Rabbits, Prairie Dogs and Coyotes harassing your farm at the end of the 19th century. Fast and flat shooting, with a scope is going to protect your livelihood from vermin at far greater distances and with far more capability than an iron sighted lever gun.

You feel the same way about scoping a rifle with a Mauser action? That type of rifle has its roots embedded in the 1860s. The action of 1898 is rarely bettered despite its age.

So really, to decry a scoped lever gun could be described as, well, "short sighted".....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#33 Post by Alpha1 »

If you feel the need to scope underlevers then crack on. Like I said not some I would do and I don't understand in this day and age why any one would want to shoot game with a lever gun. But you fill your boots if that's what floats your boat.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#34 Post by dromia »

My point about scoping underlevers is really more about the calibre than gun, the calibres my Uberti Henry and Winchester reproductions are in, 44-40, 38-40 and 32-20 don't warrant scopes for my use.

My Savage 1899s in 300 Savage, 22 Savage Hi Power and 25-35 can all benefit from scopes although only one Savage currently has a scope mounted.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#35 Post by Ovenpaa »

One of our Marlin .357s is 'scoped and with glass it becomes a very accurate 50/75 yard rifle, the sort of distance where Rabbits are starting to blend into the back ground so the glass helps.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#36 Post by Sim G »

Alpha1 wrote: and I don't understand in this day and age why any one would want to shoot game with a lever gun.
Again, why? Modern rifles, modern cartridges, scope capable? Couple that with generally lighter and more manoeuvrable and far, far quicker should a second shot be required.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#37 Post by pbrazendale »

Guys, thanks for all the responses I don't intend to put a scope on it, I'm on the side where I don't think the two things should go together but I can see why people do.

I will look into getting an old Marlin if I can find a good one at a good price, failing that I like the look of the Uberti so will probably grab one of those if I can't get a Marlin.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
GeeRam

#38 Post by GeeRam »

Sim G wrote:Seriously? Why not scope a lever gun? Two of my modern Marlins carry low powered Leupold scopes. The .357 a 2-7x variable and the .44 a 2.bowl IER. For their modern day use of targe shooting in the pistol derived cof, the low powered scopes are fast and accurate. Quicker and more accurate than irons.

My .30-30 Marlins carry a tang aperture and a receiver peep sight respectively. But, I have a rail and a 3-9x variable for game. How many of you decrying a scoped lever gun will confidently take a shot at a live animal, with iron sights, beyond what, 40 yards?

Lever guns are a mechanism that have survived the test of time. Their origins are clearly with the Volcanic Repeating Arms of 1855, but they have evolved to take bang upto date ammunition and purpose designed bullets. They are as current as anything else on the market and offer a greater flexibility than a lot of the in vogue rifles.

Ultimately, scoping a lever gun is also as period as it is contemporary. As mentioned above, the lever guns origins were in 1855, as are lever gun scopes. William Malcolm started making his telescopic sights in 1855. I have reference books that show big bore lever Winchesters fitted with long barrels and Malcolm scopes in off set mounts from the 1870s. Rifles from the 1890s fitted with Malcolm's Short Scope as well.

And I have an 1899 manufactured Marlin 1894, in .25-20 with a special order 28" barrel and original Malcolm mounts, but unfortunately, no scope. This makes perfect sense when you look at a 60gn .25-20 will get up there to 2200fps. Rabbits, Prairie Dogs and Coyotes harassing your farm at the end of the 19th century. Fast and flat shooting, with a scope is going to protect your livelihood from vermin at far greater distances and with far more capability than an iron sighted lever gun.

You feel the same way about scoping a rifle with a Mauser action? That type of rifle has its roots embedded in the 1860s. The action of 1898 is rarely bettered despite its age.

So really, to decry a scoped lever gun could be described as, well, "short sighted".....
I've got no problem with the period style stuff on a period calibre long rifle for live non-target stuff - thats all tickety boo.

That quite rare in the UK though for most underlever users....?

What baffles me and others I suspect, is the people with all sorts of gucci red dot contraptions scaffolded on top of a 16" carbine Marlin for shooting holes in paper at mere 15-25m ranges......maybe I'm just too much of an old git that is bemused by the thought of 'needing' optics on anything to shoot over such a short distance....even with my ageing eyesight.

As said, horses for courses......but clearly not my horse though lol
GeeRam

#39 Post by GeeRam »

pbrazendale wrote:Guys, thanks for all the responses I don't intend to put a scope on it, I'm on the side where I don't think the two things should go together but I can see why people do.

I will look into getting an old Marlin if I can find a good one at a good price, failing that I like the look of the Uberti so will probably grab one of those if I can't get a Marlin.
In that case just go for the Uberti......... they are lovely, lovely things :good: :good: clapclap

But I'm biased as I own one, and all the Marlins I've used/borrowed beforehand were horrible in comparison to shooting my '73.
69chris
Home club or Range: severnside

#40 Post by 69chris »

iv taken half dozen fox with mine from high seat with iron sights from about 50/60 yards, .357m does the buisness if your placement is close enough....no complaints so far