Bought myself a black unicorn - 9mm Lever Release

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Bought myself a black unicorn - 9mm Lever Release

#1 Post by Mikaveli »

Long overdue really - it's a "G" model, with billet upper and lowers and the 12.5" fluted bull barrel:
14862233897652.jpg
Heading to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots. :good:
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Re: Bought myself a black unicorn - 9mm Lever Release

#2 Post by David Nimrod »

Very nice! shakeshout goodjob
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

Looks very good :), I would be interested to hear your views; did you purchase new or secondhand? Are you going to stick to factory ammunition or reload?

I did want one of these a while ago but the cost and so many negative opinions put me off. Also when I first obtained my FAC I called the manufacturer of that firearms to discuss options / advise since I was new to shooting and based on how I was treated I vowed never to deal with them again.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Mikaveli

#4 Post by Mikaveli »

Geek wrote:Looks very good :), I would be interested to hear your views; did you purchase new or secondhand? Are you going to stick to factory ammunition or reload?

I did want one of these a while ago but the cost and so many negative opinions put me off. Also when I first obtained my FAC I called the manufacturer of that firearms to discuss options / advise since I was new to shooting and based on how I was treated I vowed never to deal with them again.
I went for new - via Shooting Supplies (Bromsgrove) - very friendly and helpful. I've heard that SGC aren't too customer / novice friendly - haven't seen anything myself, but the guy's an engineer so social skills aren't required ;)

I'm going to run factory ammo through it initially - probably until its first service. At the very least, I want to observe all the warranty requirements until I've "proven" the gun. I'm not expecting any issues - and I think the design has been refined and evolved. It looks very well made - and the mag well flares nicely / everything seems easy to operate.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#5 Post by Zilberbak »

Have had mine for 18 months again from our friends in Bromsgrove and won my class twice in the Gloucester Association open gallery rifle competition. Have used it for Hendon as well with open sights (FabDefense flip ups). Never had an issue and Glock mags work fine. Only changes l have fitted the Wave lever as much better to use than the straight one and fitted a Mission First minimal stock. The only other thing would be a slim handguard with continuous top rail as the one fitted is a bit heavy. Use Geco or Barnaul ammo both work fine. Great gun even if a bit pricey. Just sighted in another Strike Eagle and need a bit more practise but shoots easy out to 50m free standing. The Americans are going mad for pistol caliber AR's at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019

#6 Post by 20series »

Mikaveli wrote:Long overdue really - it's a "G" model, with billet upper and lowers and the 12.5" fluted bull barrel:
14862233897652.jpg
Heading to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots. :good:
I'm RO today so I'll get yo see your new toy in the flesh.... cheers

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Mikaveli

#7 Post by Mikaveli »

Zilberbak wrote: Only changes l have fitted the Wave lever as much better to use than the straight one and fitted a Mission First minimal stock. The only other thing would be a slim handguard with continuous top rail as the one fitted is a bit heavy. Use Geco or Barnaul ammo both work fine.
I was tempted by the wave lever - but didn't want to make it look too "un-AR" and figured as I've got pretty big hands I may not need it - time will tell.

Yeah, I'd noticed that the fore-end is quite heavy (but put most of it down to the barrel). I'll see if I get used to it.

Yep - was recommended Geco, so I've got lots to test this morning :)
Mikaveli

#8 Post by Mikaveli »

Well, had my first range session with it:
14863012853760.jpg
It's exceeded my expectations - went through 250 rounds this morning in its initial outing. It looked quite dirty after 200, so I hinged the upper and gave it a bit of a wipe down and oil. Only fired another 50 after that as it was all I had :(

No failures what so ever - cycled smooth and reliably each time. No pressure signs on any of the cases (as some original owners reported).

Got home and gave it a proper clean - this was very easy - and makes me appreciate the rifle even more. Very easy to separate, remove the bolt and charging handle. There were a few hard to reach places under the bolt, but still only around 15-20 mins for a thorough clean (including the bore etc.).

Gave everything an inspection - everything looks as it should. Very much looking forwards to my next range session.

Might buy a brass magnet though... lol
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019

#9 Post by 20series »

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Mikaveli wrote:]
I went for new - via Shooting Supplies (Bromsgrove) - very friendly and helpful. I've heard that SGC aren't too customer / novice friendly - haven't seen anything myself, but the guy's an engineer so social skills aren't required ;)

I'm going to run factory ammo through it initially - probably until its first service. At the very least, I want to observe all the warranty requirements until I've "proven" the gun. I'm not expecting any issues - and I think the design has been refined and evolved. It looks very well made - and the mag well flares nicely / everything seems easy to operate.
I bought a new V22, oh, must be ten years ago now, directly from Bob at his premises. I'd got lost (it's hard to find his workshop first time off) and was late for the appointment. Had to phone him a couple of times for further directions which er ... let's just say he was a tad tetchy and blunt when I first showed up. However, once we got talking, I found him very helpful and open to questions. We discussed a lot of options and he had loads of rifles within my aspirations right in his safe (huge safe).
I left with a rifle and some good choice accessories. He even gave me a tour of his machine shop which is really impressive.

I've put many many thousands of rounds through that rifle since. I've only had one problem - a broken firing pin a few years back.
Fixed and returned within three days for less than £20 including postage.

Yes, Bob can be a bit short / gruff and he has his views but when it comes down to making rifles and repair turnarounds I can't fault him. I bought a .223 Speedmaster of his too; again extremely reliable and zero issues over probably a few thousand round now. Extremely accurate too.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."