Proof house records

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

Proof house records

#1 Post by pe4king »

Here's an odd question!, last year I picked up a cheap .223 rifle for my grandson to use it was advertised as a Savage.
Anyway I got it home and realised it wasn't what it seemed to be, firstly it didn't have the usual savage barrel nut and secondly it has a Remington barrel, odd I thought so did Mr SimG.
After a little digging it turns out that the action is a Stevens 200 long action (I know.223) with this Remington barrel somebody has taken a lot of time to build this then it is just thrown into a cheap Savage synthetic stock maybe it was swapped from a nice stock when it was moved on, I don't know I do have plans in the near future to put it into a choate tactical stock (not the fugly one).
So anyway my question from the proof marks dated 2009 would the proof house divulge who submitted it for proof by its serial number ?.
I would really like to find out more of the why and how for this rifle if possible, it is a lovely rifle bar the stock which shows great promise.
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Proof house records

#2 Post by 1066 »

I think that would be like getting blood out of a stone, I'm sure they would claim "Data protection".

The Savage (Stevens) action has a lot going for it. The floating bolt head design works well giving good case support and has an element of "self aligning" to give good lug contact. The bolt head can be easily changed to accommodate different calibres, it has a quick lock time, the often talked about heavy bolt lift can easily be improved.

I'm also a fan of the "lock nut" barrel changing facility. I have two Savage F12's, 6br and 6.5-284 and both shoot very well. The 6br I made out of "of the peg" bits with a Shilen match barrel.

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#3 Post by pe4king »

Nice rifle there, yes good old data protection eh.
I could live with a stock like yours, where did you get it ?, I was looking at a Boyds but it works out $29 over what they will ship, but choate at double the price are happy to do so, go figure !!.
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by 1066 »

The stock is a Boyds semi finished at $99, 4-5 years ago. (It's still semi-finished:)) I bought it as a temporary measure while looking round for a modular stock, maybe something like a Dolphin if I can find one at the right price.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag ... n-company/
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com