Quick please mounts

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

bish789
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland

Quick please mounts

#1 Post by bish789 »

Anybody use 2 scopes (night and day) on a weaver rail where the scopes are on quick release mounts.
If so, does the POI change dramatically?
I've heard good and bad things.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Quick please mounts

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Average mounts give me around a half to one minute shift on and off, better ones are quite simply better. I have used ARMS which seemed nigh on perfect and the standard one piece AI one although not true quick release is virtually perfect on my rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

I use EAW (Apel) mounts which I find go back to the same point of aim every time - not cheap though!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use also Apel and Optilock and they are usually very good as are the QR on my SSG69 P1
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

If the mount and rail is of decent quality/set true AND the scopes are repositioned where they were originally zeroed (something a few people, myself included get wrong!) then the zero should not shift significantly for most applications. As you're talking day/night scopes I presume you're going to be shooting quarry, in which case the margin of error should be acceptable at sensible distances.

The only way to know is to test it thoroughly first though.
DVC
bish789

#6 Post by bish789 »

The consensus is that when you put the scope on, you push the scope as far forward as it will go in the rail groove you've set it up for. Then tighten it and that should give some consistency.
Will try on my .22 LR first, then try on the CF later.
It is mostly for the .22 though.
Ginger

#7 Post by Ginger »

I only swap around on my rimfire Pretendy AR :) and I do a similar thing, put the scope on pull it back and fasten it. I am using eotech on a riser rail, a LaRue LT104 SPR 1.5 and a unbranded Chinese knockoff http://tinyurl.com/zhbsxlo

The only QD I would use on a CF out of the three would be the La Rue, only because I haven't used the others on CF and don't know how they would stand up.

With regards to accuracy well its okay at 50m, little out but to be expected really, could be ok at 100m but then there are a lot more variables to mess with things, i.e. wind.
bish789

#8 Post by bish789 »

As Blackstuff said, on rimmies might get away with a midges whisker. CF may be a whole different ball game.
When I've managed to test it I'll report back. Was awful yesterday so didn't get chance to get out.
Did manage to get a lovely low profile dovetail to weaver converter for my BRNO Mod 2 from South Yorkshire Shooting supplies, and both scopes sit lovely.
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#9 Post by Swamp Donkey »

I swap between scopes on the blackout, TRG and tikka reguarly, and store the scope off the TRG too, the Swarovski on the TRG is in sako mounts and goes back spot on every time, the blackout is within 1/2", if, i were to be fussy...

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
bish789

#10 Post by bish789 »

1/2" is good.
I would be happy with that