Reccomend me a single shot break action rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Reccomend me a single shot break action rifle

#11 Post by dromia »

There are some very good BPCR repros available, Winchester/Browning, Sharps, Rolling block and the like. Of course there are also many originals as well, Snider, Martini, Deeley Edge/Westley Richards, Mauser 71, Springfield Trapdoor, Werndl, Stevens etc etc.

You need to be a bit more specific methinks.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Sandgroper »

As far as single shot break barrel rifles are concerned I've own a Handi-rifle and a Rossi. They are basically the same action under different branding and both shot much better than expected. :good: If I was in the market for a break barrel rifle, I'd be looking for one of those again - cheap and accurate.

A Rossi currently on GT https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/ro ... 9083911017
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Chapuis

#13 Post by Chapuis »

dromia wrote:There are some very good BPCR repros available, Winchester/Browning, Sharps, Rolling block and the like. Of course there are also many originals as well, Snider, Martini, Deeley Edge/Westley Richards, Mauser 71, Springfield Trapdoor, Werndl, Stevens etc etc.

You need to be a bit more specific methinks.
Most of those are not break action Dromia. Countryman probably started the confusion ball rolling by mentioning a Ruger No 1 which is a fine single shot rifle but Ovenpaa specifically mentions a break action rifle in the opening title to the thread.

I quite fancied a Mossberg number 1 break action rifle at one time but I never saw one in this country and Mossberg discontinued them after only a few years. A Thompson Center is another one that I would quite like to try but the cost in the U.K. compared to in the U.S. makes me feel like someone would be taking the P**s selling it to me.
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I recently worked on a Ruger No1, I had to do a trigger upgrade which was interesting and quite time consuming although it did make a marked difference once fitted. The rifle needs to be break action as opposed to falling block or similar
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

The title says break action but then the OP talks about centre fire single shot not break action specific, just seeking clarification from the OP and he has now clarified it as break actions only.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Chapuis

#16 Post by Chapuis »

Is there any particular calibre or cartridge that you would be looking for in this break action rifle Ovenpaa, or is the rifle to be the basis of a project rifle?
You obviously wouldn't be looking for a Heym or a Blaser for instance if you simply wanted something for a project.
greenshoots

#17 Post by greenshoots »

try a roper of london i have one in 44 mag he did, i will post a pic

greenshoots
Green by Design
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Greenshoots, what a fine looking rifle and not one I was aware of. I assume they are quite scarce on the open market?

I am looking for something in 30cal or similar for a customer who is downsizing so initially it is for reconsiderations only and from there he can decide which way he would like to go. As break action rifles are not something I usually ask for I thought it best to ask.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#19 Post by DW58 »

David - you haven't stated a budget, but if you've got medium-depth pockets give the Blaser K95 a look. Gregor MacLeod has a few in stock in various calibres. The K95 is a break-action single shot - if you search hard, Blaser used to offer an exquisite single-shot falling block rifle which is one of my all-time favourites.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
greenshoots

#20 Post by greenshoots »

there are quite a few about i saw a nice 38spl martini action on gunstar i was tempted by for £700

greenshoots
Green by Design