Some question on the 7.62 x 39 AKM Comrades

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Re: Some question on the 7.62 x 39 AKM Comrades

#31 Post by Nelly2014 »

"The only thing to watch with it is that the flash hider is welded on and proofed to maintain barrel/OA length and needs the innards taking out and washing after using surplus (found out the hard way)"

I picked up my AKM at the weekend and had some fun at Worcester on the 50m range.

I am a bit concerned about the above quote as my pinned-on flash hider doesn't appear to be dismantle-able but I suppose there is a youtoob how-to available, unless anyone here can help with advice.
I've also noticed that there seems to be a lot of airsoft stuff on ebay that looks like it may fit such as the sidemount with weaver rail. Are they any good?

Where would be the nearest bulk ammo suppliers to me here in Midlands?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#32 Post by snayperskaya »

Nelly2014 wrote:"The only thing to watch with it is that the flash hider is welded on and proofed to maintain barrel/OA length and needs the innards taking out and washing after using surplus (found out the hard way)"

I picked up my AKM at the weekend and had some fun at Worcester on the 50m range.

I am a bit concerned about the above quote as my pinned-on flash hider doesn't appear to be dismantle-able but I suppose there is a youtoob how-to available, unless anyone here can help with advice.
I've also noticed that there seems to be a lot of airsoft stuff on ebay that looks like it may fit such as the sidemount with weaver rail. Are they any good?

Where would be the nearest bulk ammo suppliers to me here in Midlands?
Is it a Saiga carbine with the short barrel and this type of flash hider?.......

If it is and you shoot milsurp ammo your best bet is to flush it with hot water and then stuff it with a clean lint free rag to dry it and then repeat with a lightly oiled rag until it is clean.If it is this type they aren't really a true flash hider, they are designed as a muzzle booster to create more pressure for the gas system due to the shorter barrel.The very short AKS-74U had the same type but will still cycle without it fitted.The principal is the same on the Bulgarian carbine as well but the Bulgarian one should strip down to four pieces, the main body will stay attached to the muzzle on UK versions.

If it is a standard AK-74 type muzzle brake on a full length barrel like this.....

You should be able to push in the detent pin in the front sight block that retains it and unscrew it but note it is a lefthand thread.Sometimes they can seize on, especially if milsurp ammo has been used and the brake hasn't been removed and cleaned particularly the threads on the brake and the end of the muzzle.

When it comes to optics mounts for an AK type side rail I really wouldn't bother with the airsoft stuff, you buy cheap you buy twice my old man used to say.......something like this is far better and actually designed for the job......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Russian-Zenit ... SwcL5XNX8y

ZenitCo produce a lot of parts and accessories for Russian firearms and are a supplier to the Russian military, an increasing number of Spetsnaz, OMON and MVD units now use Zenitco stocks and optic mounts on their AK variants as well as the PKM/Pecheneg belt-fed machine guns etc so their build quality is second to none and for your money you are getting a milspec part rather than airsoft tat made out of monkey-metal in China.

Don't be put of by the fact that a lot of sellers of this type of thing are in Russia, Belarus or Ukraine.....I have ordered loads of stuff from these places on Ebay etc and never had a problem ordering and it has always arrived, sometimes a bit slow, and always as described.That said I ordered a Kizlyar knife from the factory in Dagestan and it arrived 6 days later!, I've had stuff ordered from sellers in the UK take longer!!!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#33 Post by Nelly2014 »

Mine is the first bulbous looking one. I think I will have to fashion a scraper/cleaner although not too sure about getting water in the barrel so I think I will use some sort of oil.

Still wondering where to buy bulk ammo directly not too far from where I am hopefully.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#34 Post by Zilberbak »

The flash hider l was referring to is on my Bulgarian Arsenal underfolder and looks like it's off a Bleep & Booster space gun. The front ring is threaded but held in situ with a wire spring that is easily pried back to allow the front ring to screw off which accesses a removable cone. All this needs rinsing with soapy water including the fixed outer shell to remove acid salt residue from surplus primers. If left on after a session using surplus highly likely to seize up with corrosion and will need a pipe wrench to remove after a good soak with penetrating oil (how do l know that?). Oleg now states on his website that this bit needs attention as it is not chromed.

I will be putting Barnaul through it after l have used all the surplus that l have. Dauntsey Guns had some surplus recently and possibly Shooting Supplies.

Would not put Airsoft on it but recommend a Primary Arms 1-6 with 300 Blackout recticle as it works well with 7.62 x 39 just fitted one and got from Optic Planet in the US. A Midwest Engineering side mounted rail fits well even with the underfolder button in the way or if a standard stock a RS Regulate rail.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#35 Post by snayperskaya »

Nelly2014 wrote:Mine is the first bulbous looking one. I think I will have to fashion a scraper/cleaner although not too sure about getting water in the barrel so I think I will use some sort of oil.

Still wondering where to buy bulk ammo directly not too far from where I am hopefully.

Flushing both the barrel and flash hider with very hot water will do it no harm whatsoever, especially if you shoot Russian milsurp ammo as the hot water will flush out the corrosive salts from the primers whereas some oils alone won't.Just ensure that once flushed you dry throughly and oil as normal.All my rifles have Russian milsurp through them and have the barrels flushed with very hot water and never had a problem with any corrosion, in fact if the water is from a boiled kettle the heat actually makes the barrel pretty much dry itself.

A few drops of Ballistol Robla Solo mixed with water will also clear out corrosive salts and copper fouling etc.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#36 Post by dromia »

Using very hot or boiling water isn't a good idea as it can lead to flash rusting, especially if there are areas you can't get to to check, plain tap water is just fine.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#37 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:Using very hot or boiling water isn't a good idea as it can lead to flash rusting, especially if there are areas you can't get to to check, plain tap water is just fine.
I got the very hot water thing from reading this.......

How to clean a SMLE MKIII service rifle from the 1940 British Home Guard manual:

"...(v.) Put a dry piece of flannelette, 4in. by 2in., in the middle loop of the pull-through ... wrap it round the cord and drop the weight into the barrel from the breech. ... Pull the flannelette through with one steady pull, taking care that the cord is not rubbing the side of the barrel. This is done until the flannelette comes through clean. Finish off with a slightly oiled piece 4in. by 1 1/2in. ...

(vii.) After firing either ball or blank ammunition, six pints of boiling water should be poured through the barrel before pulling-through.
(viii.) The rifle should be cleaned daily, and again as soon as possible after firing."

HINTS AND MAXIMS FOR HOMEGUARDS

...Always keep your rifle clean. After firing clean the barrel by taking out the bolt and drawing the 'pull through' through the barrel. An oil-bottle and 'pull through' are to be found in the aperture in the butt, the brass cover of which can be raised by inserting a coin or knife blade in the notch for that purpose. ...

The barrel of the rifle should be cleaned out regularly with hot water. This is best done by removing the bolt, opening the cut-out, and inserting a funnel in the breech of the barrel. Care must be taken to ensure that the water is boiling, not warm, and the rifle must be dried out thoroughly afterwards and carefully oiled through. Your rifle is your best friend, treat it so and it will never let you down."

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#38 Post by Daryll »

I remember doing that when in the Air Cadets... you got a big dog-leg funnel and one person held the rifle while someone else poured the boiling water into the funnel..

You had to make sure your feet were clear of the muzzle...!!
Charlie J

#39 Post by Charlie J »

So how often do you have to clean the barrel if you use ammo with non corrosive primers
with barrel cleaner not water , should it still be everytime after you use the rifle
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#40 Post by bnz41 »

Yes if not using corrosive primed ammo then any available cleaning solution will be enough to clean once you finish shooting the rifle.