latest addition to the armory

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

latest addition to the armory

#1 Post by rufrdr »

When I was a very young lad back in the hills of Pennsylvania I spent my very hard earned money on a Remington 760. I kept it for a year or two and then sold it to fund another firearm I just had to have. The 760 was the white tail deer getter back then as semi auto rifles are not allowed for hunting in Pennsylvania and with the thick brush and heavy woods found in most hunting zones a quick follow up shot is sometimes needed.

I recently came across this 760 looking like the one I owned back in 1975 and looking up the serial number I saw that it was indeed made in the same year, so I bought it.

The rifle shoots very tightly for the first 5 rounds and then when the barrel is hot the group opens up by about 2" Being a hunting rifle this isn't a problem. I shot a 3 round group with Korean surplus .30 ball that could be covered by a U.S. .25 piece. This was at 100 yards from a rest. I won't using it for mule deer hunting here in California, it is more of a nostalgia rifle for me now.

I have another, a 1961 production carbine in .30-06 that is another range toy. The 10 round magazine can heat up the barrel pretty darn quick! The slide unlocks when you fire and the recoil starts the slide to the rear, the shooter just needs to continue the action and eject and chamber the next round.

Being left handed the pump action is just about perfect for me.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: latest addition to the armory

#2 Post by saddler »

Amazing the things built on 870 frames!

Used one of the modern .223 variants, with AR15 magazines a few years back (when abroad)
Sadly not UK legal, being pump a action/centre-fire.

That rifle version looks very nice....though the pre-war C96 I saw today was somewhat nicer.
rufrdr

#3 Post by rufrdr »

Remington was big into pump action rifles pre-WW2. The 14 and 141 rifles were everywhere in gun shops when I first got into shooting in the early 70s. Hunters dumped them for 760s in .30-06 and .308.

I wish Remington would bring back the 7615 in .223. I didn't get one when they were in production and used examples are scarce and expensive now.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#4 Post by johngarnett »

I'm OK seeing your rifles shakeshout

Nice one!

JohnG :cornwall: