Inconsistent shots

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

markymark

Re: Inconsistent shots

#41 Post by markymark »

OCW load development? Could you expand for me?
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#42 Post by HALODIN »

OCW = Optimal Charge Weight - it means you don't get the ubiquitous cold barrel shot that spoils your group.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com
Sim G
Past Supporter

#43 Post by Sim G »

So the tightest group is the first, with some six of the ten touching. The second and third group open right up....

And you still want to cling that it's something to do with your rifle/ammo/scope combo?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#44 Post by Alpha1 »

I think its pilot error. You need to let some one else shoot the rifle and see how they perform. Or bench the rifle. Sit it on a bench on a bipod with the but resting in a bag so it does not move and try again. Get some one who knows what he is doing to stand behind you and watch you shoot it of the bench.
A small thing like wrong trigger pull can bugger up the smallest group. Breathing (control of) is another factor that can screw a good group up.
I'm crap when it comes to shooting tight groups but it does not matter the important thing is I'm emptying cases so I can re load them I don't give a toss about group size. If I hit a figure 11 at 300 yards and it goes down I am a happy bunny.
Richie
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#45 Post by Richie »

Thanks for the additional feedback/suggestions. I don't think I said I thought the issue was equipment related and am perfectly happy to entertain that the issue lays with me/my technique. The issue I have is with the inconsistency of the results I've been achieving with this particular rifle.

I've got lots of things to work on over the next few weeks so thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#46 Post by Daryll »

Richie wrote:Thanks for the additional feedback/suggestions. I don't think I said I thought the issue was equipment related and am perfectly happy to entertain that the issue lays with me/my technique. The issue I have is with the inconsistency of the results I've been achieving with this particular rifle.

I've got lots of things to work on over the next few weeks so thanks everyone for your suggestions.

If rifle shooting was easy, everyone would be an Olympic Champion.. :D
Richie

#47 Post by Richie »

Just wanted to follow up on this original post given the many helpful responses/suggestions I received.

As a first step I went over the rifle carefully cleaning, aligning and tightening everything down to the correct torque.

I then spent quite a bit of time working on technique - in particular ensuring the point of aim was natural and that I wasn't pulling or twisting the gun. To be honest this felt better but improvement in shot consistency was marginal. I also worked on trigger control/shot release where I think I did make some (fairly small) consistency gains.

Next step was to look at ammo. I'd been using NRA GGG factory rounds in 155gr and 168gr variants. I tried ammo from PPU and also brought some reloaded ammo from Fultons at Bisley without any noticeable improvement.

Still reluctant to blame the gun but running out of options I came to the point of really only having 2 avenues to go down - get the rifle checked out by an expert or experiment with my own loads.

I chose to reload and I'm pleased to say I made immediate and significant gains in consistency of shot placement. I've still got work to do to refine my preferred loads but my own rounds are starting to deliver the kind of consistency I always felt were achieveable.

The only thing is that I'm not sure if the improvement has come from case preparation which I have gone to some lengths with - trimming, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring - seating depth, bullet selection (Hornady A-Max), powder (Varget) or load. What I do know is the COL of my rounds is quite a bit longer than the factory stuff hence reducing the jump to the lands. Regardless I'm going to do more work on the load development and have ordered a chrono to help.
Richie

#48 Post by Richie »

IMG_0226.JPG
Richie

#49 Post by Richie »

The picture above is what looks to be the most promising load so far - I only make test batches of 5 rounds and the picture shows one 3 shot group, one 2 shot fired later and after some scope adjustments.

5p piece for scale - i think the 3 shot group is just over 1/3 moa.
Richie

#50 Post by Richie »

Regarding load development, I made some batches of the same case/bullet/powder combo with differing charges and have settled on the one that grouped the best - larger loads caused the group size to grow.

I was going to focus development efforts on COL/Seating depth and see what increasing and decreasing the jump to lands causes. I'm currently 20 thou off the lands.

Any thoughts?