Inconsistent shots

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Richie
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Inconsistent shots

#11 Post by Richie »

I pretty much clean the Rifle every time I use it. I run patches soaked in KG SF112 through one way until they come through clean then run some dry patches through before a final pass with an oiled patch. I clean it just now following yesterdays shoot and the patches soaked in bore cleaner were clean by the 5th pass.

I've not used a nylon or PB brush on the bore.

The rifle is fitted with an AI muzzle brake which I've never taken off.
Richie
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by Richie »

The scope is in a sphur mount and i will check the screws are torqued up properly.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Send it wrote:You sound like you know what you are talking about David :good:

Good sound advice right there.
Send it, not as much as you know that is for sure! (We need am I am not worthy smilie on the forum)

I have shot an AI for many years, originally in 7,62x51 for paper out to 1000 yards and these days 6,5x47 suppressed although I have a new Border 7,62x51 to go back on when I feel the urge. The AI is my long range Rabbit rifle and this years goal is a 1km Rabbit :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
markymark

#14 Post by markymark »

Richie,

I think I met you yesterday and kindly gave me a lift! What's the twist rate of your barrel? My .308 hates the 168gr GGG, can't get a group with it to save my life. However it loves both of the 155gr & 175gr GGG. Have you tired those yet?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

From the little we have here it sounds shooter related.

What is your grouping ability with other firearms?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
markymark

#16 Post by markymark »

If memory serves me right you shot well with all previous club guns, so I wouldn't look at principles of accurate shooting just yet. Let's assume you can shoot. You want to remove as many variables as possible. By the sounds of thing you checked that all the action screws and scope mounts are all done up. Do you have a torque driver? Make sure the action screws are to AI spec, too tight or too loose could throw you off.

I would get a bore brush, good jag and cleaning rod. Go to town on it and remove that variable. Make sure you fire some fouling shots off when you get to the range before you start shooting groups. You could suffer a lot of clean bore shift like I do. Once you have done that, try and selection of the GGG 155,168,175. But again make sure you run a good few rounds through of each ammo before you shoot groups with it. I'm confident you will find something your barrel likes. If not I guess it's the reloading route. But I would be very surprised if your AI can't stomach some factory ammo.

Next step, repeat without the muzzle brake, and with mod. My brake opens my groups but shots best with a mod. Also be sure not to run it too hard, allowing time between each so you know it's not the barrel walking off due to heat.

My 2p.

Mark
Odd Job

#17 Post by Odd Job »

I would definitely rule out the shooter first. How does somebody else fare with the same rifle?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

You're getting tired. You put half of the ten round group into one moa, then stretch the next 5 rounds to 2-3 moa.

Simply take a break. Fire the first five rounds then "come away" from the gun. That might be nothing more than up on your elbows, reload the mag with another five rounds, then get back to it, picking a different spot on the target for the next five.

Coupled with this might be a little bit of "buck fever". You see the first five rounds developing into a good group then fluff it due to tension/anticipation or what have you.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#19 Post by shugie »

If you know someone with a borescope, get them to have a shufti at the barrel innards.
Careful now/that sort of thing
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

shugie wrote:If you know someone with a borescope, get them to have a shufti at the barrel innards.
That can be a scary experience!......a bit different from an AI barrel I know but the barrel of my AKM looks perfect to the eye but with a borescope it looks like the surface of an alien planet! :o
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!