.308 or 6.5 creedmor

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

.308 or 6.5 creedmor

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have only ever owned rifles in either Milsurp calibers or .308 .222.223 etc.
I'm contemplating a new rifle probably the new Ruger a lot of guys seem to be going for the 6.5 Creedmor so whats the attraction and why not .308.
The Gun Pimp

Re: .308 or 6.5 creedmor

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

The Ruger Precision shoots far better than it should for the money.

The 308 version has a 20 inch barrel which is a bit short if you shoot competitively beyond 600 yds.

However, I've seen the 6.5 Creedmoor version - with the longer barrel - put some sub. MOA groups in at 1000 yards - which is impressive.

This gun offers a lot for the money - but look out for the Savage version and of course the Tikka T3x Tac A1
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Flatter shooting & supersonic at longer distances than .308

Plus fashion...the same bullets started out around 1894 with the Swedish Mauser: just a different cartridge case. Nothing shabby about 6.5x55.

The .260 Rem is a nice option, but not in the latest TactiCool rifles.
And for a less fashionable & WAY CHEAPER rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, check out the Ruger American bolt actions. A few of those models are in Creedmoor.
Last edited by saddler on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I dont expect to ever get the opportunity to shoot any further than 600 yards so is the 6.5 creedmor still viable or should I just go .308
Down side is I all ready have two rifles in .308 that are more than capable of banging the middle out of a target at 600 yards. So I was thinking may be some thing different but I really like the new Ruger. One of my club members as just got the Ruger in .308 I had a go with it at 500 yards and was well impressed. My local Registered Firearms Dealer got him one at a really good price. I was thinking I could let my Steyr SSG P1 set up go to off set the cost.
Decisions Decisions. Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the Ruger. 5mith
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

If you don't need the distance, whats the point in having to gear up with all new dies, brass, and all the rest of the stuff that goes with it... There's not much benefit over another .308, is there?
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I dont know thats my question.

I'm at that stage in my life. I have another couple of years and then I will be retired. I reckon three years max if I dont drop down dead before then.
At the moment I can afford to indulge my self but what ever I buy now is going to be the last major purchase gun wise I make so I want to get it right.
I'm keen to prune what I don't use and just have stuff that I'm going to actually use and enjoy. Yes you are correct I will need to be able to reload for the new calibers. Am I bothered about about having to buy gear or upgrade for new calibers no not at all. I relish the thought of re loading for new calibers.
As I have said before the only reason I shoot is to supply me with empty case to re load. If I could not re load I would give it up all together.
If I can knock down a figure eleven at 500 yards I'm happy.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

Alpha1 wrote:I dont know thats my question.

I'm at that stage in my life. I have another couple of years and then I will be retired. I reckon three years max if I dont drop down dead before then.
At the moment I can afford to indulge my self but what ever I buy now is going to be the last major purchase gun wise I make so I want to get it right.
I'm keen to prune what I don't use and just have stuff that I'm going to actually use and enjoy. Yes you are correct I will need to be able to reload for the new calibers. Am I bothered about about having to buy gear or upgrade for new calibers no not at all. I relish the thought of re loading for new calibers.
As I have said before the only reason I shoot is to supply me with empty case to re load. If I could not re load I would give it up all together.
If I can knock down a figure eleven at 500 yards I'm happy.

Answered your own question really ,if you want it and can afford it then do it ..
As for the 6.5 bit ,a friend of mine has a RPR and in 6.5 its a tack driver out of the box .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

I have sold a few of these now all in 6.5 and every customer has reported excellent performance so undoubtably a fine rifle calibre combination.

Just remember what is right for now might not be right in two or three years time, look at the guns you have now, they were right at the time but now you are thinking of moving some on.

Still the shooting fashion shopper keeps RFDs in business no doubt, if you want it buy it that is reason enough in itself.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#9 Post by phaedra1106 »

If you want to try out the 6.5 Creedmoor save yourself about £700-£1100 and just buy a Howa, £525 brand new. Or if you want something more exotic the Bergara is around £1100 :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Its the Ruger rifle I'm interested in. Not so much the caliber. I will have a play with a .308 one at our next shoot see how it grabs me.