Talk to me about moderators.....

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Talk to me about moderators.....

#1 Post by Daryll »

Ok, I've just put in a variation for moderators for all my c/f rifles... 2x 7.62 and 1x .223. mainly for hearing protection, but also for recoil reduction... my 7.62x51 is uncomfortable for this feeble old body..!!... and other shooters get blown away when i use the muzzle brake.. :D

These will just be for range work, so weight is not really an issue, although i don't particularly want to double the weight of the rifles..!!
Cost is also an issue, although i want something efficient..

I put in for 3 seperate ones as (typically!!) all 3 rifles would seem to be different threads (5/8x24, 14x1LH and 13x1LH)... so I assumed i would need 3 seperate moderators.

Is this still the best option, or I see that some companies offer thread adaptors, so the 2x 7.62's could have different thread adaptors, but share a moderator??

So is it more cost efficient to simply get individual screw on moderators in the 3 different threads, or get a "system" of different thread adaptors and one moderator..?
(I realise i could use a .30 moderator on the .223, but would that be any use..??)

TIA

Daryll.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Talk to me about moderators.....

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

It would be more cost effective to buy a modular system like from Wildcat.

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/moderato ... ories.html

It has three main components; The baffle stack (which contains the 'diffusor'), thread bridge and rear expansion chamber. To achieve your requirements you would need to buy a complete moderator plus two thread bridges (for the different barrel threads) and one extra diffusor (for the different caliber - although if you bought a .30cal whole moderator that would work for all of the calibres, it would just be less efficient on the .223).

Moderator: £200-230 (depending where you buy and model)
Thread bridge: £60 x 2
Diffusor: £60-75 depending on which model you go for
Total; £380-425

Not sure you could buy 3 complete full-bore moderators for that!
DVC
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

Another vote for the wildcat evolution get a 30 cal baffle stack and whatever size bridge sections you need for your threads don't worry about the noise reduction on the smaller calibre that's going to be unnoticeable on a range with ear muffs on (you can hardly hear the difference in the field without them) don't worry about the rear bush it isnt vital for it to be used and saves buying 3 and having them sized to your barrels.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

A decent pair of ear muffs and joining a club that isn't full of poofs would be cheaper.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#5 Post by Duey »

signfunnypost
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

You need to look at moderators specifically designed with target shooting in mind. Most moderators are designed for sporting use where only a very small number of rounds will be fired at any one time (one maybe two). Heat is the killer and moderators are great storage devices for heat resulting in heat mirage and also possible stringing of rounds.
Moderators designed for automatic weapons or a high volume of rounds at any one time are usually manufactured from stainless steel and are usually much costlier.
I have a wildcat moderator which I use on two different rifles (different calibres different thread sizes) it suits my needs and I am very happy with it and am looking to buy another evolution moderator in the near future but I wouldn't particularly recommend either for solely range use.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#7 Post by Daryll »

Thanks Gents (apart from Dromia..!!! :D)

I like the look and idea of the Evolution system and it would work fine on the Mossberg MVP and the AUG, but not on the AKM... (the front sight and "gas block" are directly behind the threaded area, so it can't be a reflex type).

I suppose the ideal, ( but pricey) option would be the Ase Utra bore lock system, with a flash hider that fits the individual rifles, then a single moderator that fits all of them..

I'll wait until my variation comes back and I see what i've been allowed....