BSA International Bench Rest

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

BSA International Bench Rest

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I started making some of the brackets for these rifles a couple of years ago however I was never totally happy with the project as I did not own a rifle to work with and check fit and operation. Then a couple of weeks ago we started chatting with an BSA International shooter at the local range and he agreed to drop his rifle off the following week.

My relationship with the venerable BSA Martini International goes back many many years. This was the first model of rimfire rifle I ever shot, it was handed to me and described as a Martini International and that is the name that has stuck in my mind ever since. Yes they are falling blocks however they will always be a Martini action.

Sadly as time passed the Martini International fell from favour and at one point they could be picked up for virtually nothing from schools and clubs and they were often found languishing in the back of cabinets and armouries, then one day small bore Bench rest came to the UK and people started looking for heavy accurate small bore target rifles to press into use as a suitable rifle and the Martini International found a new lease of life.

Of course such rifles do need some work, they were traditionally equipped with open target sights and they flop around when supported on a front bag so a front bag rider is required, a suitable bracket for the ‘scope and rear bag rider for the really serious shooter aspiring to Bench rest

This is a part conversion of a BSA in that it has the front bag rider fitted and the ‘scope bracket however the owner has not opted for the rear rider at this stage.
DSC_2882.JPG
DSC_2882.JPG
The good thing about starting off with .22LR Bench rest is you do not need a ‘scope capable of dealing with magnum ammunition however it does need to be capable of focussing at 25m or less and this particular Hawke will apparently parallax down to 10m.

When building a bracket for the International it is important to take loading and ejection into account and once the bracket was machined and secured in place with the original taper head sight screws it was time to load and eject to confirm access. The dummy round went in without problems and when the lever was pushed forward the round was ejected.

Actually it was ejected with so much force it flew of across the workshop and into an open cardboard box packed with bottles of C2R ready to go which did make me smile. When we were shooting club rifles I knew exactly which ones had the strongest ejectors and I would grab one out of the rack and head to the left hand side of the firing point. A firm flick of the wrist and the spent case would arc out to the right, often clearing the shooter directly to my side before bouncing onto the unsuspecting shooter two lanes up.

Well I was young and it amused me…. :)
DSC_2882.JPG
So here is the finished rifle, now back in the capable hands of the owner. He had assured me just leaving everything in self colour as it was would be OK however I thought a coat of black would enhance the image. I will Cerakote everything when he he has a spare couple of days to leave it with us.

Now I have the dimensions and have overcome the issue of using the original sight bracket screws I should be able to make them reasonably quickly and already have a new sleeker version drawn and ready to machine when someone asks for another one.
Attachments
DSC_2881.JPG
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: BSA International Bench Rest

#2 Post by Les »

This is/was my Martini MkIII benchrest rifle. The scope bracket was very similar to yours, and I bought it from a bloke in Australia who makes them (via ebay). I thought I had a piccie of it, but I don't. Anyway, the rifle was extremely accurate, but I always hankered for an Anschutz so the Martini moved on to a new home. I do miss it - sometimes - but I don't miss carrying its 18.5lb weight around! lol

ImageImage
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I really like the stock Les, is a modified and painted original or something else?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#4 Post by 1066 »

I guess a lot of us cut our teeth on these rifles - really undervalued. My International was moved on, to be replaced by a bolt action in a vain search of higher scores.

Here's one (Mk 4?) I fitted a Picatinny rail to using the existing scope block mounting holes.

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

ovenpaa wrote:I really like the stock Les, is a modified and painted original or something else?
As far as I could tell, it was a modified original, although without chipping off what must have been 1/8" of blue enamel I'll never really know! lol
Fowler
Home club or Range: DURC

#6 Post by Fowler »

I love the Martini style rifles and have had great fun with an old Vickers Armstrong Jubilee. I've got a BSA International MKIII on my shopping list for the new year. Glad to see they're getting some love here!
Marmite5

#7 Post by Marmite5 »

Great Club rifles for beginners.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

first proper rifle I ever touched, or fired was a mkV, and I then subsequently bought it when the guy who owned it needed to thin some rifles. It is sitting in the back of the cabinet, waiting. I will think of a project for it one day
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#9 Post by TattooedGun »

Any movement on these David...?
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have just cut and roughed out another set of five brackets :)
/d

Shed Journal