DSX high pressure dry lubes

JDR imports reloading goods to order and has a special interest in historical carbines and all forms of S1 pistols and revolvers.

We also supply everything to do with wet tumbling, with machines ranging from the Rebel 17 to the large, industrial-sized CRC units.
JD4570

DSX high pressure dry lubes

#1 Post by JD4570 »

Introducing DSX fluoropolymer high pressure dry lubes
DSX shooters kit 1.jpg
We are looking at introducing a new range of lubes onto the British market and will be the sole distributor in this country and on the European Continent.
DSX fluoropolymer particulate lubes were originally created to serve in Operation Desert Shield during Gulf War I. They were engineered to overcome the extreme heat and cold of the desert environment along with the sand, grit and other adverse conditions and to maximise the function and service life of land, sea and air military equipment.
These products have many fields of application. They don’t just help guns run more smoothly. They work in any setting where metal moves against metal, or where there is friction between moving parts, including car engines, to bring about a reduction in friction, wear, corrosion, carbonisation and oxidation.

How DSX works

Unlike other lubes such as Teflon, DSX fluoropolymer particles have no jagged edges. They are spheroid in shape and approximately 0.02 microns in diameter (about one millionth of an inch), which is incredibly small. These tiny particles occupy and fill the micro-voids and rough grain of the metal surface and will even penetrate stainless steel.
DSX is available as a “grease” or as a liquid lubricant with the fluoropolymer particles suspended in a carrier fluid. DSX is not a replacement for oil but is applied to whatever surface you wish to treat by rubbing it in until the carrier fluid disappears and the surface feels dry.
DSX shooters grease 2.jpg
There are other fluoropolymer products on the market but unlike DSX, their fluoropolymer particles sink to the bottom of their containers and do not truly emulsify when agitated, DSX products have overcome this problem by using a special process which permanently blends or homogenises the product.

Some DSX products do say “shake well” but this is because the fluoropolymer is super-saturated, so agitating the product will blend excess particles into the carrier fluid.

The fluoropolymer spheroids in DSX are electrostatically attracted to the surface being treated. Because of their extremely small size and this electrostatic attraction, the particles will permanently infill the surface of the metal, leaving it very smooth. Once the DSX fluoropolymer particles are electrostatically embedded in the treated surface, they are there to stay and will repel and eject foreign particulate matter or debris. The only way DSX could be removed from the metal would be by grinding!

The end result is prolonged service life and less friction and wear. DSX products help reduce emissions and conserve energy. Applied in an automotive setting, this means improved fuel consumption and better miles per gallon. When added to a car’s oil sump, the result will be extremely dirty oil over the next couple of oil changes. This is because foreign particles have been excluded and replaced by the DSX fluoropolymer particles. Subsequent oil changes should be less frequent and show less dirt.

DSX works across an incredible temperature range of -73° C to +398° C. In a firearms context, this means fewer stoppages once the product has been carefully applied to the interior of the chamber. You can also apply DSX to the action of a firearm and down the bore. Please be aware that, particularly in high-end rifles, this may result in some adjustments having to be made to your loads.
We will have the pricing shortly but I already have a small number of 1/4 ounce kits comprising both the liquid and the grease substitute and more are coming soon. Very little of the product is needed and it is activated by rubbing in until the surface is smooth and dry.
DSX shooters lube 1.jpg
The trial-size kits are £6.99 each including delivery and should allow you to conduct your own evaluation of the product.

A product video is in the pipeline.

Jon
DaveT

Re: DSX high pressure lubes

#2 Post by DaveT »

Would this be an improvement over existing greases for bolt lugs?
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#3 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

This stuff sounds brilliant, I'm going to do the wife's underwear with it.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have been using DSX products for a few months now :good:

EDIT, I would not use it as an alternative to lug grease and still use TW25 however I do use it on the bolt body for new builds and rebuilds.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
JD4570

#5 Post by JD4570 »

Egg on Leggs1 wrote:This stuff sounds brilliant, I'm going to do the wife's underwear with it.
Just be sure and rub it in plenty! signfunnypost
JD4570

#6 Post by JD4570 »

DaveT wrote:Would this be an improvement over existing greases for bolt lugs?
No, don't use it instead of grease or oil. Clean as much of that off as you can and then rub the product in. Then, if necessary, re-lube the components lightly with your normal oil or grease.

Think of DSX as a microscopic body filler. Its purpose is to create a smooth surface and thus improve efficiency over time. You may eventually be able to apply less oil/grease, which is a good thing as regular oils - if overdone - can form a kind of "cutting paste" with all the metal particles that accrue inside an action. DSX makes it less likely for there to be as many metal particles forming due to friction.

Can you see the distinction here? It's called "grease" and "lube" etc., but that's just to make it easier to know where to use either product. DSX's function is to make contacting surfaces less prone to wear by easing friction.

DSX won't help for full-on scratches or abbrasions that can be seen/felt. For those, it's good old emery paper. However, you can then rub in some DSX to finish the surface off.
JD4570

Prices for DSX lubes

#7 Post by JD4570 »

Full price list so far goes:

SYNTHETIC LUBE
1/4 oz £4
1 oz £8
2 oz £14

GREASE
1/4 oz £6
1 oz £10
2 oz £18

DSX EXTRA (ENGINE ADDITIVE)
4 oz £22 (One ounce per quart of engine oil so this size will do a gallon of oil)

CURRENT STOCK

I have some 1 fl oz and 2 fl oz of the lube and 1 oz of the grease in stock. also some 4 oz of the engine/gear oil additive.

Carriage for any of the above is £4.00 by Hermes (3-5 days although typically quicker than that) or £8 by ParcelForce 24.

There are some other sizes and one or two other products in this series, but we're just getting started with it so all that will come at some point too.

DSX hasn't made it onto the website yet, so please just get in touch by email or PM if you'd like to try the products.

Jon
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: DSX high pressure dry lubes

#8 Post by Pete »

Lubricating the chamber?? Surely that's a bad idea...........you want the chamber to grip the case as it expands (obturates) at ignition, otherwise the bolt is going to take the brunt of the pressure.
I understand that the proof house fires test loads with both dry and lubricated chambers to see if there is any adverse effect on the bolt.
Then again, I might be wrong...................

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
JD4570

#9 Post by JD4570 »

Pete wrote:Lubricating the chamber?? Surely that's a bad idea...........you want the chamber to grip the case as it expands (obturates) at ignition, otherwise the bolt is going to take the brunt of the pressure.
I understand that the proof house fires test loads with both dry and lubricated chambers to see if there is any adverse effect on the bolt.
Then again, I might be wrong...................

Pete

Yes it would be a very bad idea to go lubing it with something like grease or oil (to which dirt can stick and then the oil or grease might get burnt on), but this stuff doesn't stay wet, the carrier fluid dries away and the particles are left infilling all the microscopic voids in the surface of the metal. It's not a coating or outer layer at all, more like a kind of "nano-filler".

Jon
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

From the DSX website:

"DSX has five major benefits: (1) it is superior in reducing friction – far better than other known “lubricants” thus causing significant reductions of surface wear and allowing major decreases in operating temperatures."

If it reduces friction, then it really should not be applied in a rifle chamber.
Where it might be of benefit is in the bolt lug raceways and the receiver.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....