Pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

Re: Pistol

#11 Post by DavidRees »

The K22 is a pistol capable of extremely good accuracy.
Target.PDF
(498.75 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
The above was shot one-handed, at 25m, using RWS Target Rifle ammunition, and the adjustable iron sights my K22 came with.

Truthfully, I had difficulty doing better with my Walther GSP, back in the good old days.

As others have said, it takes time, and much practice, to become proficient at pistol shooting.

David.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#12 Post by froggy »

I am a pretty terrible pistol shot & certainly no expert but IMO, in common with other type of shooting, stance, grip & trigger control are the key points a pistol shooter needs to focus on to achieve acceptable results, hence my previous question about your current grouping.
If you ID a pattern of misplaced shots, its analysis will go way further than fitting a red dot which sole function is to enable you to acquire the target a fraction faster vs classic iron sights.
Maybe a bit old skool & not what you want to hear but some air-pistol work might help you with the fundamental skills ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#13 Post by Airbrush »

DavidRees wrote:The K22 is a pistol capable of extremely good accuracy.
Target.PDF
The above was shot one-handed, at 25m, using RWS Target Rifle ammunition, and the adjustable iron sights my K22 came with.

Truthfully, I had difficulty doing better with my Walther GSP, back in the good old days.

As others have said, it takes time, and much practice, to become proficient at pistol shooting.

David.
Excellent shooting. goodjob
Home club or Range: Staveley

#14 Post by top »

Wow David, that's really impressive.
Someone said something about fitting another spring, what does that do?
DavidRees
Past Supporter

#15 Post by DavidRees »

top wrote:Someone said something about fitting another spring, what does that do?
Most .22LR ammunition is pretty standard stuff: a 40gr lead bullet pushed to around 1050fps, so the energy generated when a round is fired is also pretty much the same.

In a semi-automatic gun, some of that energy is used to cycle the action, with the slide coming back, ejecting the spent case, and then moving forward again to load the next round into the chamber. A spring system is a very common mechanism to ensure the slide returns, being compressed when the slide moves back (thus capturing some of that energy), and releasing that energy when the spring system pushes the slide forward.

The spring system in most semi-autos will be designed to cope with standard ammo. The problem comes when the ammunition used has a significantly different energy level, whether slower ("subs") or higher. In such cases, the slide cycling system may need a spring with less tension, or more, to function reliably with the ammunition used.

Early K22s were fairly sensitive to ammunition energy levels, and so were supplied with two different springs--you experimented, and used the one which worked best with your preferred ammo. Later K22s have two springs wrapped around each other, which gives the pistol much more tolerance to variations in ammo energy levels. Mine has this system, and is nearly 18 months old.

If your K22 has the double spring installed, you have no need to worry about changing springs. I experimented with a wide range of target grade ammo when I first got it, and found no problems with any of them.

#16 Post by top »

Mine has the 2 springs together, one inside the other, up till now ive tried rws target, semi auto and sk match, and at the minute the best is the rws target, but ive had quite a few ftf with the first pull of trigger but it has fired on the second pull, got a lot more to test yet, thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.
DavidRees
Past Supporter

#17 Post by DavidRees »

I find my pistol needs the bolt-face, and the breechface, cleaned after about 250 rounds of RWS ammo, otherwise light strikes can occur. No need to clean the barrel itself.

#18 Post by top »

The only thing I don't like about mine is bolt open lever, is it possible to change them?
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#19 Post by Sixshot6 »

top wrote:The only thing I don't like about mine is bolt open lever, is it possible to change them?
You holding open on the last round? What is your problem that is a good thing, lets you know you're empty.

#20 Post by top »

Yes it is a good thing, it is a bit fiddly to use the lever its self that's all, is there an up grade for it?