Cleaning a Taurus LBR

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Cleaning a Taurus LBR

#21 Post by bradaz11 »

HALODIN wrote:It's currently sitting in the hollow screw on the right hand side of the frame (wrong place) and everything's working as it should, but I will put it in the right place when I take it apart over the weekend.

It came out last from the hole in the frame that accepts the yoke, spring and plunger. i.e. the yoke came out of the frame, then the spring/plunger and then behind that was the "pointy bit", which is why I thought it had fallen through from the right hand screw hole.
bradaz11 wrote:it sits in the undercut on the yoke, which allows the yoke to rotate open, but not move laterally.

and reading simg's instructions, if the bit that went in first, came out last and vice versa, it would be assembled correctly, or am i missing something?
AFAIK, that is where it should be, in the screw? sounds like maybe the screw was left in when it was removed, and then pushing it back on pushed the end out and behind the yoke maybe?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#22 Post by HALODIN »

Unless I've misunderstood Sim, I think he's saying it should go on the end of the "cylinder stop plunger spring" that goes in to the yoke. I've currently got it like this photo I've just found. Wrong revolver and different placement of the screw, but you get the idea.

bradaz11 wrote:AFAIK, that is where it should be, in the screw? sounds like maybe the screw was left in when it was removed, and then pushing it back on pushed the end out and behind the yoke maybe?
Last edited by HALODIN on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HALODIN

#23 Post by HALODIN »

Sorry I missed this one. Thanks, I'm learning...
joe wrote:You can also take the cyclinder off by undoing the ejector rod, ejector rod comes off, pull off star then cyclinder. The reason the cyclinder gets stiff to turn after so many rounds is because the gas ring on which the cyclinder sits on get clogged up with carbon and lead due to over large cyclinder gap and to crap design. You have to clean this gas ring regualry to avoid this. I clean my revolver every 100 rounds and I remove the cyclinder. Also give a squirt of gun scrubber on the inside of where the cyclinder stop come up.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#24 Post by safetyfirst »

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. As a new Taurus owner, I've gleaned a good few crucial facts from the experience shared here. :)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#25 Post by Sim G »

HALODIN wrote: Image

Sorry, I didn't realise this thread was still going and that I may have caused some confusion.

The Spring and plunger (left and centre) are the "Cylinder Stop Plunger and Spring" these insert in the hole on the yoke, Spring first. They perform the task of applying pressure on the Cylinder Stop or Bolt. (The little bit that rises through the frame at the bottom of the cylinder window and locks into the notches on the cylinder to prevent rotation whilst cocked or going through the DA pull.

The small "bullet shaped" piece on the right, is the Yoke Retaining Pin. This should have a Spring in the recess of the pin, which in turn, fits into the hollow screw known as the Yoke Screw. On the yoke itself, you will see the the "groove" towards the end of the stem which inserts into the frame. This is where the Yoke Retaining Pin does what it says when inserted through the side plate.

You need a Cylinder Stop Plunger Spring and a Yoke Retaining Pin Spring.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
HALODIN

#26 Post by HALODIN »

Perfectly explained, thanks Sim!
Richardd
Home club or Range: My very own back garden

#27 Post by Richardd »

A +1 for the thanks for a good thread.

I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning my guns every time after use if only because I never know when I'll look at them next and I don't want to leave a dirty guns languishing in the safe for weeks. It's good know just how much abuse your new toy can atke and still come up smiling.

As for demonstrating proficiency .... I was not a member of a gun club, nor could I demonstrate any gun knowledge other than from a book when I applied for an FAC. I have a smallholding and vermin control is my 'good reason' so I got it without too much hassle. During my interview with the Licensing office I even told them I'd never even touched a shotgun and the response was a smile and "you'll enjoy clay pigeon shooting". I was surprised at how cheap and easy the process was albeit rather slow (over 4 months).
Poking the grim reaper with a big stick then running away

The devil made me do it, but God said it was okay with him