Another Colt

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Another Colt

#1 Post by rufrdr »

Picked up this used Colts Officers Model .45 from a friend awhile ago. It is somewhat patterned after the M15 which was a modified/cut down USGI 1911A1 as done by Rock Island Arsenal for issue to General Officers.

When I was a young 2LT one of my buddies was the aide for the 3ID assistant division commander. I was visiting my friend who was engaged in cleaning the BG's M15 so I got to play with it. A General officer was issued a fancy black leather belt with buckle, open top holster and double magazine pouch, also in black leather. The M15 was withdrawn from service when the M9 came into service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M15_pistol

One of my brothers in law is a retired LT General and when he retired he was permitted to buy his M9 and rig. I tried to talk him out of it but he's hanging on to it (darn!). Some of the M15s were bought by the General officers who had them issued, others went back and were most likely destroyed.

My Officer's Model has pretty stout recoil!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Another Colt

#2 Post by Sim G »

Now that, I like!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Nice leather sets that come with the M15 pistols.
Have plans for them in one of my reference books.

Nice pistol, though not sure about the Novak style rear-sight.

Back in happy times my Colt MkIV Ser 70 Gold Cup wore some of the Ajax Ivorine grips too.
Looked real nice in my M3 holster when worn for WW2 re-enactments in the 80's....plus most others carried 8mm blank-firer pot metal junk.
The veterans really liked to see an actual 1911 again. Got a few good "....this one day I was...." stories out of them as a result.
rufrdr

#4 Post by rufrdr »

saddler wrote:Nice leather sets that come with the M15 pistols.

Back in happy times my Colt MkIV Ser 70 Gold Cup wore some of the Ajax Ivorine grips too.
Looked real nice in my M3 holster when worn for WW2 re-enactments in the 80's....plus most others carried 8mm blank-firer pot metal junk.
The veterans really liked to see an actual 1911 again. Got a few good "....this one day I was...." stories out of them as a result.

I can imagine!

That's me some years ago out in the desert doing some recreational shooting with one of my Colts and wearing some WW2 type garb

Jack Harper
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

Needs a tan M1936 belt, wool or M43 pants, rough out double buckle boots.....and a Daisy Mae
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#6 Post by Sixshot6 »

rufrdr wrote:

I can imagine!

That's me some years ago out in the desert doing some recreational shooting with one of my Colts and wearing some WW2 type garb
That's one fine Mustache. gunlike
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ooh, I do like that and would certainly give it house room (The Colt, not the moustache!)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#8 Post by johngarnett »

Sorry I took so long to write - couldn't see the keyboard for tears! :cry: That is a pretty little pistol. You are so lucky. Lets hope Mr Trump likes them too! bangbang
Thank you
JohnG :cornwall:
rufrdr

#9 Post by rufrdr »

johngarnett wrote:Sorry I took so long to write - couldn't see the keyboard for tears! :cry: That is a pretty little pistol. You are so lucky. Lets hope Mr Trump likes them too! bangbang
Thank you
JohnG :cornwall:
Gun rights are saved in the U.S for another generation since Trump will appoint at least two supreme court justices. They are the real power in the country these days.

Jack Harper
rufrdr

#10 Post by rufrdr »

Sixshot6 wrote:
rufrdr wrote:

I can imagine!

That's one fine Mustache. gunlike

Still have but not as dark as it once was. Retirement day 2014 from the state defense force.

Jack Harper