Best .22lr LBP for practical comps

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Best .22lr LBP for practical comps

#1 Post by daman »

Dear Experts of the Bore that be Full,

I have received, through the graciousness for Her Majesties fine Metropolitan Police Force, a variation for a pistol of the long barrelled variety.

The calibre of said pistol to be the venerable .22lr. My good reason for acquisition of said piece of equipment being participation in competitions of the practical and target variety.

My dilemma now is what to purchase. Initially my eye was drawn to the K22 of Grande Puissance - until a fine gentleman of my acquaintance commented very disparagingly on its accuracy when compared to his own fine Buckmaster. My thoughts strayed to the Buckmaster until another gentleman, whom I hold in high regard, informed me it was crap compared to his own fine Morini.

My thoughts now? The Morini, although a fine target pistol, is no longer manufactured, and not ideal for practical/3 gun style competition. The Buckmaster is perhaps most easily available, but looks, shall we say, like a cut down rifle. The K22 looks the business, but can it shoot well? Then there is the TSC/GSG 1911 - which everyone seems to hold in disregard?

What is a guy to do?

-daman
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Best .22lr LBP for practical comps

#2 Post by Kungfugerbil »

The K22 is fantastic, much better than the GSGs. The GSGs can be made to run well, but it costs and there is fiddling involved. The only downside of the K22 is getting hold of them...

My K22 would single-hole a five-shot group at 20yds when leaning on something, no complaints about accuracy whatsoever.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Buckmaster? Never heard of that model.
Do you mean Buckmark? If so, that model started out AS a pistol - and in the rest of the world outside the UK, most still ARE pistols.

Great guns. Been around for decades (based on an earlier model that itself had also been around for decades) & slowly seeing a lot of after-market accessories coming to the market-place to make them even better.

Mine is still in factory carbine form....a mate just bought his 2nd pistol version.
Between himself, his father & his son they run 5 Buckmark pistols; the elder two are on the Scottish Gallery rifle squad & compete at Bisley & elsewhere.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

I'm no expert but my Buckmark shoots and feels good to me compared to the others .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Whizzbang

#5 Post by Whizzbang »

For gallery comps where range can be 50m (e.g. 1500) and mags aren't filled to more than 6rnds, the Buckmark is probably best bet (accurate, 10rnd mags). Happy with mine.

For practical comps, K22 and similar may have the edge and look a bit better doing it.

Horses for courses (of fire).
the running man

#6 Post by the running man »

The buckmark is ok...it's a bitch to clean and still feels gritty after doing so...I had a k22 as well...quite good...nice feel, until I saw the new edgar bros 1911, I got the tan one for £430 so sold my k22 for £850 and had £400 spare...the new changed variety is streets ahead of the previous rubbish, the barrell stays fixed .I put a mount and viper venom on it and when benched all go through the same hole, removing the stupid mag safety and doing a trigger job makes it even better....I'm very happy with mine afyer owning 2 buckmark 2 gsg 1911 and a k22 this is something I can actually shoot well with and it's easy to clean....I've got some nice iron sights for it too which I've had very good results with...Ile put some pictures up if I ever get to the range this month...
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#7 Post by DavidRees »

The K22 can indeed shoot well:

http://full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 6&start=10

I now own two--both are extremely accurate.

Not knowing the requirements for practical, I can't advise there, but for precision and "gallery rifle" comps, the K22 works very well.

David
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by mr smith »

saddler wrote:Buckmaster? Never heard of that model.
Do you mean Buckmark? If so, that model started out AS a pistol - and in the rest of the world outside the UK, most still ARE pistols.

Great guns. Been around for decades (based on an earlier model that itself had also been around for decades) & slowly seeing a lot of after-market accessories coming to the market-place to make them even better.

Mine is still in factory carbine form....a mate just bought his 2nd pistol version.
Between himself, his father & his son they run 5 Buckmark pistols; the elder two are on the Scottish Gallery rifle squad & compete at Bisley & elsewhere.

Jon,if it's who I'm thinking of young 'T' is also in the squad and has shot for Scotland.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#9 Post by daman »

Do you mean Buckmark?
Buckmark, of course. That'll teach me, trying to compose a funny post after a a couple of Friday night scoops ;-)

So, looks like the Buckmark and K22 are still in the running. Now if only our legal system allowed me to try both before purchase. :sigh:
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#10 Post by saddler »

daman wrote:
Do you mean Buckmark?
Buckmark, of course. That'll teach me, trying to compose a funny post after a a couple of Friday night scoops ;-)

So, looks like the Buckmark and K22 are still in the running. Now if only our legal system allowed me to try both before purchase. :sigh:
Nothing to stop you trying the Buckmark in carbine form....
Westlake made a "club carbine" that met S1 rules but had a removable butt.
Still remained within the 12/24 requirements.