Best .22lr LBP for practical comps

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Best .22lr LBP for practical comps

#11 Post by saddler »

mr smith wrote:
saddler wrote:Buckmaster? Never heard of that model.
Do you mean Buckmark? If so, that model started out AS a pistol - and in the rest of the world outside the UK, most still ARE pistols.

Great guns. Been around for decades (based on an earlier model that itself had also been around for decades) & slowly seeing a lot of after-market accessories coming to the market-place to make them even better.

Mine is still in factory carbine form....a mate just bought his 2nd pistol version.
Between himself, his father & his son they run 5 Buckmark pistols; the elder two are on the Scottish Gallery rifle squad & compete at Bisley & elsewhere.

Jon,if it's who I'm thinking of young 'T' is also in the squad and has shot for Scotland.
Had a feeling he had but wasn't 100% sure.
Not bad going - three generations competing for their country AT THE SAME TIME!

Anywhere else in the world they'd be national sporting celebtities...they would be in Scotland, in ANY sport other than shooting!
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by mr smith »

saddler wrote:
mr smith wrote:
saddler wrote:Buckmaster? Never heard of that model.
Do you mean Buckmark? If so, that model started out AS a pistol - and in the rest of the world outside the UK, most still ARE pistols.

Great guns. Been around for decades (based on an earlier model that itself had also been around for decades) & slowly seeing a lot of after-market accessories coming to the market-place to make them even better.

Mine is still in factory carbine form....a mate just bought his 2nd pistol version.
Between himself, his father & his son they run 5 Buckmark pistols; the elder two are on the Scottish Gallery rifle squad & compete at Bisley & elsewhere.

Jon,if it's who I'm thinking of young 'T' is also in the squad and has shot for Scotland.
Had a feeling he had but wasn't 100% sure.
Not bad going - three generations competing for their country AT THE SAME TIME!

Anywhere else in the world they'd be national sporting celebtities...they would be in Scotland, in ANY sport other than shooting!

And nice people to boot.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Get a K22 if you afford it/will be taking the competitions seriously, get a Mk2 GSG 1911 otherwise, there are no other better choices for practical comps at present. Reliability and functionality under stress shooting the guns in conditions they weren't necessarily designed to do are the key requirements of a practical pistol, accuracy is irrelevant if the gun doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger.

FYI of all the K22's I've seen unused in competitions (10+) all of them, and I mean every single one, needed tweaking to be competition reliable. SOME of the GSG's I've seen (~8) needed tweaking after the owners slapped on 'upgrade' parts on them. It all worked fine in factory configuration.
DVC
BamBam

#14 Post by BamBam »

Who is tweaking the K22 these days?
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#15 Post by Nelly2014 »

Andy Haines I think
Blackstuff

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Most people have done their own that I know but as above or sending it back to Scott at CCA
DVC
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#17 Post by daman »

What are the main areas that need fettling on a K22 for competition use?
Blackstuff

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

Just getting them to run reliably when they aren't being held perfectly/still/fired rapidly. I've heard of people chopping recoil springs, fitting stronger ones, filing out the slide rails on the frame, alsorts. I don't think theres one/two specific things to do, I think you've got to just get one and see what (if any) issues it has and tackle it from there.
DVC
JammyGuns

#19 Post by JammyGuns »

I rested the gsg today at 20 yrds and was quite surprised at how good it was (and how much I'm to blame for some of my crappy groups standing). These things aren't easy. Have installed some real 1911 sights (Novak cut) that I picked up from Brownells UK (thanks to the advice here) that have really improved the overall experience for me over the crappy stock ones. Not saying you shouldn't get the k22 if you can afford it though, it seems to be the superior LBP, at least for accuracy.

The rear looks a little canted in the pic for some reason, though is fine in real life.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#20 Post by bradaz11 »

Which sights did you get?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns