Made up my mind!

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Burner

Made up my mind!

#1 Post by Burner »

Well I have been chewing over what rifle I'm going to use for Deer this fall.

I decided to I'm going to take out the Custom 8mm-06 BI that I made out of a Czech VZ24 action and a Yugo barrel a few years ago.
I popped it out for a total of $276 just because I could, ran a few rounds through it and it have been in the rack ever since.
Now I just have to work up a hunting load for it.
I plan on using a 200g expanding bullet, Pushed out to around 1700fps.
What projectile would you folks recommend?

Bad photo but it is all I have at the moment.
Random Yank.
Ovenpaa

Re: Made up my mind!

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

That is a good looking rifle however I know nothing about 8mm expanding bullets. Would a cast boolit be an option as you are looking at lowish MV's?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

If you plan to shoot in Scotland you will need the bullet to achieve 2450 fps to be legal as well as 1700 ft.lbs energy.
In England the requirement is 1700 ft.lbs with no velocity requirement. Minimum calibre is .240"
The exception is for roe deerand muntjac for which 1000 ft.lbs energy. Minimum calibre is .22 centrefire
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Burner

#4 Post by Burner »

I had a Typing error it should have said 2700 fps.
I picked up some Nosler Accubond boat tails I'm going to try a few different loads on.

I have used cast bullets in the past for large white tail deer.
My mates all have to have the latest and greatist thing advertised in the hunting magazines.
You know the kind, If it is old, it is crap, and if you dont have the newist uber fast super short magnum round with the kryptonite hollow point kevlar jacketed bullet, there is no way you will ever kill a deer. Then they cant beleive their eyes when you drop one with a bullet so slow you can watch it go down range.
Random Yank.
Tower75

#5 Post by Tower75 »

Nice.

The dogs will be happy. They'll be getting bambi meat. :goodjob:
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
swampy

#6 Post by swampy »

i think that is a really potent round. 8mm bullets are available from all the big companies. at that sort of performance a non premium soft point like a sierra prohunter or game king, speer hot cor, remmy corelokt, hornady interlock would be ideal. They will not cause massive damage because they are going at a sensible velocity. maybe hornadys 195 gr interlock spbt? sierra 175 gr sp prohunter. it would be a shame to go with a light 150 gr bullet in a big calibre. if you look for a mid range... for the calibre bullet... you will be in the middle of the twist rate envelope that will give you a better chance of good stabalisation and accuracy. You will also take advantage of the big bullet by getting a reasonable sectional density. It will kill like thors hammer if you put the bullet in the pocket.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#7 Post by M99 »

dodgyrog wrote:If you plan to shoot in Scotland you will need the bullet to achieve 2450 fps to be legal as well as 1700 ft.lbs energy.
In England the requirement is 1700 ft.lbs with no velocity requirement. Minimum calibre is .240"
The exception is for roe deerand muntjac for which 1000 ft.lbs energy. Minimum calibre is .22 centrefire
Rog'

Not being pedantic but it is 1750ft/lbs in Scotland - why there is a difference I have no idea!!

Mike
Tower75

#8 Post by Tower75 »

Why would he come to Scotland when he has 3 Million square miles to choose from over the Pond? tongueout
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?