Referee question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

Re: Referee question

#21 Post by Gaz »

Yogi GunKanobee wrote:
rox wrote:
Yogi GunKanobee wrote:FWIW - I recently applied for, and was granted a FAC. Both of my referees were club members, both of which I have known for about 10 years.
I don't suppose the police specifically check the club membership status of every referee, so in the context of what is the correct interpretation of the rules on referees I don't think this means anything either way.

Well, on the Reference form, part B, question 14, it asks "are you are an official of an approved target shooting club". Both of my friends are officials. When I filled out the application, re read the requirements over and over again, just to make sure. For an initial grant, I couldn't see anywhere where it says that a referee / referees should not be members of a club, only on a renewal, where one has to be a club official, and one not a member of any club. But then I'm just a noob, maybe I was lucky.
That's my reading - for a grant, note 4 doesn't apply. It does specifically begin "in respect of a renewal..."
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

Re: Referee question

#22 Post by Demonic69 »

The condition is at the start of the paragraph, hence the use, and the whole point, of paragraphs.
Unless the the sentences were itemised or bullet points then the conditions and topic of the paragraph are implied.
Following your logic it should say either:

4 If the application is made in respect of a renewal of a firearm certificate for a firearm for target shooting then one referee must be a club official of the approved club named on the applicants firearm certificate. Dealers may act as referees in these circumstances. If the application is made in respect of a renewal the second referee must not be a member of any target shooting club. For the grant of a certificate it is not essential that one of the referees is a club official.

Or

> If the application is made in respect of a renewal of a firearm certificate for a firearm for target shooting then one referee must be a club official of the approved club named on the applicants firearm certificate. Dealers may act as referees in these circumstances.
> The second referee must not be a member of any target shooting club

Though these would generally not be noted specifically.