comps for AR type rifles.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

paulbradley
Home club or Range: RFD

comps for AR type rifles.

#1 Post by paulbradley »

I have spent the last few months trying out different types of rifle. Very enjoyable. I did not expect it would be but the AR type was my favourite. Very impressed. My aim is to get back to competitive shooting. What comps are shot with rifles of this type? Are they classed as CSR? Are there any comps shot with them that are not a military style?
"The end of all etiquette is to so cultivate your mind that even when you are seated, not the roughest ruffian can dare make onset on your person" - The Ogasawara
Individual

Re: comps for AR type rifles.

#2 Post by Individual »

paulbradley wrote:I have spent the last few months trying out different types of rifle. Very enjoyable. I did not expect it would be but the AR type was my favourite. Very impressed. My aim is to get back to competitive shooting. What comps are shot with rifles of this type? Are they classed as CSR? Are there any comps shot with them that are not a military style?
Not all comps are CSR comps, only the best ones.

You could try High Power Rifle if you fancy something closer to traditional target shooting.
http://www.highpowerrifle.co.uk. CoF has rapid stages / different distances / multi positional.

Or McQueens....

By 'not military' did you mean 'not multi-positional' or 'not timed' or 'not military-style targets' ?

I guess there's always F-Class...a decent AR will shoot sub-moa all day long...... :run:
paulbradley

#3 Post by paulbradley »

Thanks for the info! By "military" I meant the timed style and multi positional element. I am keener to shoot in a standard target style.. not bothered about type of target though.. So one could shoot such a rifle in F class? What distances would this be?
"The end of all etiquette is to so cultivate your mind that even when you are seated, not the roughest ruffian can dare make onset on your person" - The Ogasawara
AHPP

#4 Post by AHPP »

.223/5.56 can be used in TR (prone, sling, iron sights - quite conservative). CSR is the antithesis to TR. Highpower is the halfway house.
There are .473" bolt face AR10 derivatives out there that could be used for F/TR (.308) or F/open (.243, .260 etc) but for a dedicated F rifle, an AR isn't perfect. Of course it'll work but there are cheaper options more easily available.
paulbradley

#5 Post by paulbradley »

I think I will try to get booked in for some CSR at Bisley. I will need some guidance as it is all a bit alien to me (ex rimfire target shooter). I think my avoidance of it may just be down to fear of the unknown... TR also sounds like a good plan and one that I would be at home with..
AHPP

#6 Post by AHPP »

csrshooter.co.uk will be able to help with CSR and black rifles.