Reloading for a 7.62 x51 Enfield 4T (target rifle)

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Matt
Home club or Range: Bisley

Reloading for a 7.62 x51 Enfield 4T (target rifle)

#1 Post by Matt »

Hi all

Another one of my 'I have a friend who' questions smile2

I have a friend who has a virtually unused no 4t that he intends to start using.... After ages searching the net and this forum for info on reloading for such a rifle and after finding lots of topics which always start as a 7.62 x51 question before sliding into 308 loads (and yes we know 7.62 is generally ok in 308 but the question is the other way round) we have the following questions which hopefully you can help with any????

Is using 308 lapua brass in a 7.62 chamber ok and if so is there a good trim length to start with?

Any issues with using either 150 or 155 SMK?

Is it ok using 308 dies and if so do any adjustments need making from the 308 set up?

Any suggestions for a good load for 7.62 x 51 using vit N140?

Anything else to watch out for (normal safe practices will be applied ;) )

We've never actually reloaded for his 7.62 so any advice will be greatly appreciated sign92
Matt

Re: Reloading for a 7.62 x51 Enfield 4T (target rifle)

#2 Post by Matt »

Sorry, just noticed I put 4t not t4 in the title..... :lol:
Dougan

#3 Post by Dougan »

While 7.62 Nato and .308 Win are supposed to be the same thing, I think that there can be very slight differences depending on the manufacturer, which can cause issues with Enfield actions converted to 7.62.

I had an Enfield conversion with a stainless steel target barrel and chamber - It shot RG 7.62 just fine - Then when the NRA changed to RUAG (.308 Win), I decided to try some so got a box and a box of PUU - The bolt didn't feel right (opening and closing) with some of the RUAG; so I tried the PPU...after a few shots without problem, I pulled the trigger and felt it give, but the pin didn't go forward...I called the RO over to let him know, and after holding the gun pointing at the target for 30 secs, tried the bolt...the instant I touched it the pin went forward firing the gun (much to mine and the RO's surprise :o )...

...Now I'm sure it'll depend on the tolerances of each particular rifle, but when I took mine in for checking, it turned out that the head space was wrong for .308...and swapping the bolt head for a slightly shorter one cured it - I didn't attempt to try RG in the rifle again after the head space had been adjusted, so I don't know it the problem would cause an issue in reverse...
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

I find 25 gr D060 Lovex (which was Accurate 5744) behind a nice hard 200gr cast boolit works really well in mine. I use any old 7,62 or .308 brass 'coz I'm not fussy!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

I owned a 4T and just used .308 brass in it.

I reloaded with .308 dies.

I used 155g bullets with 42.3 grains of N140. Ok in my 4T but I can not vouch for yours.

We have a 4T for one of our club guns we just shoot the cheapest .308 ammo through it we can find.
Matt

#6 Post by Matt »

Thanks folks. :goodjob:

sign92