Case Neck Run Out

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

Case Neck Run Out

#1 Post by Stuck »

Hi all,

I've just been having a read into measuring case neck run out & I'm a little confused.

Whilst I can see the point in measuring such a thing I'm not sure what you would do with such information, is this just a measure of how accurate your dies are or does this then lead to another process to correct the run out?

Thanks,

Mick.
Infidel
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Case Neck Run Out

#2 Post by meles meles »

Ah, these modern cartridge thingies, far too complex, they'll never catch on...

*Dreams of the halcyon days of pouring powder down the barrel, ramming home a lead ball (or , in extremis, a pebble) and then stuffing a match down t' hole *
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Stuck wrote:Hi all,

I've just been having a read into measuring case neck run out & I'm a little confused.

Whilst I can see the point in measuring such a thing I'm not sure what you would do with such information, is this just a measure of how accurate your dies are or does this then lead to another process to correct the run out?

Thanks,

Mick.
Well Mick, it's all to do with launching your bullet as 'centrally' as possible up the bore - desirable if you are intent on hitting what you aim at. Hopefully, your dies will be producing straight(ish) rounds and you can assess this by measuring run-out - of the brass and the seated bullet - with a concentricity gauge. If you are not producing straight rounds, you might want to look at some better dies.

Anticipating your next question - "How much difference will it make?" Hard to say but, if you are using a custom rifle with match barrel etc. shooting 'straight' rounds will certainly make a difference to group size.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

But won't the rounds self centre in the bore as they travel up the barrel ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
whoowhoop

#5 Post by whoowhoop »

I have developed the affectation of rotating each loaded round by about a guessed 120% on seating the bullet to try to improve the concentricity.
Not that it would make a difference to either my shooting or the quality of the ammunition.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

meles meles wrote:But won't the rounds self centre in the bore as they travel up the barrel ?
No - as I say, pick up some fired bullets and look at the rifling marks. You will occasionally find bullets with marks visibly longer on one side than the other.
Maggot

#7 Post by Maggot »

It can also have something to do with the thickness of the necks.

As they are stamped out of the blank, cases can be slightly thicker on one side which means that when fired the whole thing flexes a bit odd and is a bit out of kilter.

That said, I would imagine that any out slight out of round would be sorted on the first firing as it is swaged at "Kerist knows how many PSI" against the chamber etc.

I saw G David Tub was marking his so they were always in the same place in the chamber.

I have neck turned, but I think that helps equalise neck tension by equalising wall thickness more than anything, but then followed by a damned good wallop....

Checking all this is one thing I will have to get round to one day, but I am currently too lazy and more worried about wind reading TBH