NOE Enfield rifled musket Pritchett moulds.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: NOE Enfield rifled musket Pritchett moulds.

#21 Post by dromia »

Any one used their one yet?

My .566" is working well with an average of 574 gns for the long bullet deep cavity and the short bullet shallow cavity 463 gns, a milliput plug comes out at 11 gns fired clay plugs at 14 gns.

The mould works well, season as per the instructions, the mould needs to be HOT at least 425 degrees, the alloy needs to be HOT I'm running mine at 825 degrees and most of all the pins must be HOT I zap mine with a blow torch.

I use a gravity pour with spout just away from the sprue hole letting the alloy swirl in round the edge of the sprue hole, I'm still getting a dimple at the top of the cavity but as the weight is holding to + 2 gns it should be of no consequence.

I add a smidgen of tin as well to help with the fillout.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
davidh195

#22 Post by davidh195 »

How do the milliput & fired clay plugs compare for size? do they fit in the base cavity ok.

Not used mine waiting for a mould thermometer to be delivered with the .550"

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#23 Post by dromia »

Haven't measured them but they both seem to fit well just standing a little proud.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

matdoodson

#24 Post by matdoodson »

dromia wrote:If you didn't get a pm with the discount code for the .566" the pm or email Al and he will sort you out as you are on the list.

The 566 top punch will do for both just specify lubsizer type, however H&I dies for these moulds are not common............
Super helpful as ever, thank you very much Dromia. I'll get on to Al and look forward to dabbling with casting soon!
davidh195

#25 Post by davidh195 »

dromia wrote:Haven't measured them but they both seem to fit well just standing a little proud.
Thanks'

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
dromia
Site Admin

#26 Post by dromia »

matdoodson wrote:
dromia wrote:If you didn't get a pm with the discount code for the .566" the pm or email Al and he will sort you out as you are on the list.

The 566 top punch will do for both just specify lubsizer type, however H&I dies for these moulds are not common............
Super helpful as ever, thank you very much Dromia. I'll get on to Al and look forward to dabbling with casting soon!
If you are new to casting then you have chosen one of the most challenging bullet designs to cast, it isn't complicated but then pins and the size of the cavities present further complications that need to be over come. Persevere, do not rush and things will come together. The mould and alloy need to be hot after that experiment with poring angles 'till it works and away you go.

You may want to try and get some pot and pouring experience first with something like a cheap Lee round ball mould, they are lighter and handier to work with till you get familiar with the casting cycle and positioning you in relation to the pot, sprue box and bullet pad. Once you are settled into and familiar with the casting process then you can concentrate on the casting quirks of a large Minie mould.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!