Section 58(2) V Section 7.1

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

Re: Section 58(2) V Section 7.1

#21 Post by Robert303 »

You are now allowed to handload at home for Sec 7.3 so if you couch your application carefully you should be able to get about 100 rounds per gun. You do this by saying that you want to STUDY different bullet weights and charges OR by saying that you are STUDYING old courses of fire. It's a good idea to keep notes of every session and to come up with some conclusions. What you HAVE to to is to read the appropriate sections of the Guidance to Police so that you know how to word the application letter that will go with your variation. You do not have to buy a shed load of pistols to start with but you need a theme to your collection which could be 'Target Pistols 1920 to 1970' or
Colt Pistols 1910 to 1970 or 'Allied Pistols of WW2' mine is 'Pistols used by the Home Guard' you can have more than one theme it depends how deep your wallet is.
Some Police forces are very difficult and make you find the gun first then put in for a variation for that exact pistol, other will allow you to put in for a variation such as Semi Auto 455 and Revolver .455. But Talk to the guys at any Heritage centre you join and talk to the HBSA as they will advise on the appropriate terminology to use.
You have to show a genuine interest and be able to demonstrate that you know what you are talking about the Police and Home Office are not happy with people taking up Sec 7.3 just so they can boast to their pals that they can shoot pistols.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#22 Post by bradaz11 »

HALODIN wrote:A 7.1 application form.
bradaz11 wrote:an application form for what?
you mean a variation form?

you just print a standard variation form and detail what you want, but you will need to include a supporting letter as to why you feel it is suitiable.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#23 Post by HALODIN »

That sounds like good advice, thanks! 100 rounds is more than ample, but 5 not so much... :)

I'll make the call to the heritage site and think about how I can categorise my heritage pistol interest. Thanks again! cheers
Robert303 wrote:You are now allowed to handload at home for Sec 7.3 so if you couch your application carefully you should be able to get about 100 rounds per gun. You do this by saying that you want to STUDY different bullet weights and charges OR by saying that you are STUDYING old courses of fire. It's a good idea to keep notes of every session and to come up with some conclusions. What you HAVE to to is to read the appropriate sections of the Guidance to Police so that you know how to word the application letter that will go with your variation. You do not have to buy a shed load of pistols to start with but you need a theme to your collection which could be 'Target Pistols 1920 to 1970' or
Colt Pistols 1910 to 1970 or 'Allied Pistols of WW2' mine is 'Pistols used by the Home Guard' you can have more than one theme it depends how deep your wallet is.
Some Police forces are very difficult and make you find the gun first then put in for a variation for that exact pistol, other will allow you to put in for a variation such as Semi Auto 455 and Revolver .455. But Talk to the guys at any Heritage centre you join and talk to the HBSA as they will advise on the appropriate terminology to use.
You have to show a genuine interest and be able to demonstrate that you know what you are talking about the Police and Home Office are not happy with people taking up Sec 7.3 just so they can boast to their pals that they can shoot pistols.
HALODIN

#24 Post by HALODIN »

I assumed a section 7.X licence was different to a section 1 licence, but obviously not. Thanks. I guess I've got everything I need to get on my way to 7.3... :good:
bradaz11 wrote:you mean a variation form?

you just print a standard variation form and detail what you want, but you will need to include a supporting letter as to why you feel it is suitiable.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#25 Post by bradaz11 »

HALODIN wrote:I assumed a section 7.X licence was different to a section 1 licence, but obviously not. Thanks. I guess I've got everything I need to get on my way to 7.3... :good:
bradaz11 wrote:you mean a variation form?

nope, my 7.3 is on my FAC, with a condition added that that particular serial numbered firearm is only to be kept/used at site such and such.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
HALODIN

#26 Post by HALODIN »

I guess that's why I couldn't find an application form then! lol :good:
bradaz11 wrote:nope, my 7.3 is on my FAC, with a condition added that that particular serial numbered firearm is only to be kept/used at site such and such.
ordnance

#27 Post by ordnance »

To much hassle for me.
honda chris
Home club or Range: chalfont

#28 Post by honda chris »

I've looked at this a few times. Different police forces make you really jump through hoops