First Bisley Trip

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

First Bisley Trip

#1 Post by Alberto »

Hi all,

My son and I are signed up for our first trip to Bisley in a couple of weeks. We're both new shooters having done a few weeks on .22lr at the regular club meeting but no centefire yet. We're shooting at 600 and 100 yards I think. The club guys have been great and I will pick their brains this week but I wondered if anyone here had any advice. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Is there anything we need to read before going? What clothes do we need? I'm presuming something fairly warm and waterproof is a good idea plus sturdy boots. Will it be really cold/windy? Do we need full waterproofs? Do we need to take food and drinks? We've got ear defenders and safety glasses, so I'll take them. I've been looking at gloves. Are fingerless or the removable finger gloves a good idea?

Thanks
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Re: First Bisley Trip

#2 Post by johngarnett »

On the NRA UK web site there was a first Bisley trip intro leaflet. It may be 'First Imperial', but still shooting!
Wear normal shoot clothes and take extra warm layers plus waterproofs. Both ranges can be very exposed in winter winds and rain! There may well be standing water on Century.
Take FAC and shooter competency card - and money. Food MAY be available if clubs are open. Most are happy to receive non members if you are buying food. NO alcohol until shooting all done.
Listen to range officers. YOU need to know what he wants and HE needs to know you are going to do what he wants.
Take in the beauty that is Bisley. Camera will be useful to record memories and your achievements!
If in doubt, ask.
Use the toilet when you see one. There are no 'facilities' in the middle of Century or Stickledown and p**sing on the firing point is frowned upon! At 600 you'll be ok. there are loos. If 100 on Century, use the hedge! if Short Siberia, there are loos there.
Above all enjoy your day. Check out as much of The Common you can safely do. It is an experience.
Good shooting

JohnG
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

Pretty much Yes to everything!

I was shooting at 800 on Saturday and it was bleedin cold from wind chill.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#4 Post by Triffid »

When it rains, you'll see people getting creative to keep themselves dry - those portable marquees are popular as are the pop-up tents . . . you can lie down in the tnet with the flap open just enough to stick your rifle barrel out and shoot from the comparative comfort of a tent. Unfortunately I was misled by the sunshine and weather forecast on friday morning and wound up like a drowned rat by 3.30.

And while you're there, don't forget to pop into Fultons so they can ignore you, patronise you and over-charge you.

Triffid
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am not a fan of fingerless gloves as my fingers still get cold however shooting with gloves is not a good idea either. I do own a set of waterproof and padded Le Chameau gloves with index fingers that can be folded back and held in place with velcro however the velcro pad is lethal if you rub your face with it so I have gone back to lightweight US nomex/leather flight gloves which although not waterproof do offer good feel.

Your legs will get cold if it is a typical November windy day at Bisley.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Something I should add regarding the flight gloves, there are a lot of cheap copies on the market and I have both original and copies. The colour comes out of the leather on the copies and they are less hard wearing. The originals are great however the stitching fails with time...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
knewmans

#7 Post by knewmans »

Lots of layers as you'll be standing about a fair bit. I never owned thermal underwear until I started at Bisley. Don't forget the hat. You can always take stuff off but getting warm again in the middle Century is a pain. Take a big flask of tea/coffee.

Plan for the worst - if you can see the target you'll be shooting. You'll love it.
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

I've shot at Thorpe many time and at Bisley only once. My main observation at Bisley is to watch the wind flags. At Thorpe the wind changes direction so many times during the trip the bullet makes from 500 yards that I tend to ignore it (i was shooting .22 to be fair). I tried the same approach at Bisley and struggled to hit the target.
Depending on where you are shooting you may need to think about carrying your gear some distance from your car.

#9 Post by 1066 »

HAND WARMERS - And enjoy the trip. Don't just get stuck on Century, that's the long run of 600 yard targets, take a chance to walk up the hill towards the clock tower to see Stickledown, the 1,000 yard range (1,200 on a good day)

Down to the left of Stickledown there are other short distance ranges, Melville, the covered gallery rifle/pistol range and the Running boar range etc.

I remember my first trip there in 1963 - A competition of some sort, no idea what now. In the NRA pavilion there was a row of tables with score cards all laid out with the correct amount of .303 ammunition in a small brown cardboard box next to each one. 48 rounds for four different ranges, two sighters and 10 to count.

We made our way up to Stickledown, first detail 900 yds but when we got there we couldn't see the targets due to fog. After about an hour we got started. - A memorable day. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#10 Post by mag41uk »

I wear Helly Hanson base layer and sealskinz socks.
Make sure your feet and socks are warm when you put them on.
I also use sealskinz gloves.
I also carry a back up bag of extra clothes including a dryzabone ranchers long coat which keeps all rain and wind off.
As said you can take it off but cant put it on if its not with you.
And hand warmers too.