Generator problems - help please.

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

Generator problems - help please.

#1 Post by BestDrugDoc »

I have a Kipor KDE6700TA diesel generator which was working absolutely fine - but not used often - until last week.

It now wont start.

When you turn the key there is a small click and START is displayed but nil else happens (and no turnover).

When you turn the key back to off there is another small click

There are no error codes, and there is plently of diesel.

The DC volts are fine on the display - battery is fine, fuse is fine.

This is especially annoying as I have just had an external 240v input to the house wired in and a nice 32 Amp lead to connect it to the generator....

Any advice/insights/help gratefully received

Thanks - anyone?.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: Generator problems - help please.

#2 Post by Andy632 »

There's another inline fuse on the starter circuit; you may need to take the end panel (Rt side when facing the door) off to get to it; sometimes located top right of opening door.
Clicks you are hearing is probably the Stop solenoid being activated/de-activated.

I'm assuming that Oil level is OK
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
BestDrugDoc

#3 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Great thanks - I will have a look at that for a start.
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#4 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Curiously enough I had the same problem with my motorcycle. Parked it up on the Saturday and on Monday morning the same symptoms as you. I checked al the parts and interlocks and they were ok do I removed the starter motor and found the brushes were dust. New brushes sorted it.

In your case I would suggest the brushes may not be the problem but something to do theith the armature connection like corrosion of the brass segments.
BestDrugDoc

#5 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Thank you folks.

The in line fuse was fine.

The oil level is ok.

I can feel 1 solenoid working when the key is turned to start then released but still nothing else happens and no error messages.

On the starter motor assembly there are the main pos and neg chunky terminals (pos permanently 12v) and one other spade connector for I presume a switching voltage (please forgive my ignorance at this point!). There is a red lead to this but no voltage on this lead whether the starting switch is in start or just on mode.

Therefore I am assuming the the problem is before the starter assembly - is this correct and if so, what do you think it is?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Joss
BestDrugDoc

#6 Post by BestDrugDoc »

PS - the generator has only run for 19 hours total with a light load
Andy632

#7 Post by Andy632 »

BestDrugDoc wrote:Thank you folks.

The in line fuse was fine.

The oil level is ok.

I can feel 1 solenoid working when the key is turned to start then released but still nothing else happens and no error messages.

On the starter motor assembly there are the main pos and neg chunky terminals (pos permanently 12v) and one other spade connector for I presume a switching voltage (please forgive my ignorance at this point!). There is a red lead to this but no voltage on this lead whether the starting switch is in start or just on mode.

Therefore I am assuming the the problem is before the starter assembly - is this correct and if so, what do you think it is?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Joss
Yes, this is the line fed by the inline fuse I mentioned earlier (not the one on the control panel); try jumping from a known positive to this spade terminal and see if it turns over!
BestDrugDoc

#8 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Thanks Andy632.

We have investigated further - and replaced a blown 20 A fuse (covered up in the wiring loom). This restored the switching 12v to the starter motor so you can hear it engaging mow but it just does not turn. The actual generator will turn easily enough by hand - but the starter motor seems to be the problem.

So it could be the brushes - or rust? The gen has done 19 hours only - so that would be disappointing...but it was kept outside and covered - I wonder whrther there was too much condensation.

Trouble is it seems quite a major job to get the starter motor out and difficult to take anywhere as its quite heavy.
Andy632

#9 Post by Andy632 »

I would get the battery drop tested first; our first battery was Shiite & didn't last long! Or maybe try again with the jump leads on & donor engine running!
BestDrugDoc

#10 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Will do!