First FAC Application

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

First FAC Application

#1 Post by pbrazendale »

Hi,

I'm getting ready to send my first FAC application and having a think about what to apply for, my club is a full bore club however you can't shoot .223 / .308 etc as it's an indoor range of 25 yards.

So far I have the following:

2 x .22 Rifle
2 x .22 Moderators
.357 / .38 Spcl Rifle (Gallery Rifle)
.44 Magnum / .44 Spcl Rifle (Gallery Rifle)
9mm Rifle
9mm Moderator

For ammunition I have the following:

.22 - 1250
.357 / .38 - 300
.44 - 300
9mm - 300

Just want to get people's thoughts on if I'm asking for too much or if i should make any changes.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: First FAC Application

#2 Post by 20series »

The only thing you might have to do is justify why 2x.22s but one bolt and one semi auto for different comps is good reason

Make sure you have plenty of cabinet space, remember that sizes are based on shotguns not scoped rifles.

Cheers and good luck
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Rockhopper

#3 Post by Rockhopper »

Does your club have use of a full bore range? My club can't provide facilities for it in house but we book Thorpe eight or ten times a year which is good enough.
You'll be lucky to get that much .22 on initial grant but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Are you going to shoot gallery rifle and 9mm often? Are you going to reload? I'd be inclined to ask for more as you'll burn through it quickly.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#4 Post by Duey »

up your ammo request as soon blow through a hundred rounds, try for 600 minimum
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#5 Post by pbrazendale »

We do have access to the ranges at Sealand and Bisley through the club, however people don't go as often as they used to.

I plan on shooting gallery and 9mm oftenish I'm starting to research reloading gear as it will
be expensive otherwise.

Should I drop the .22 ammo to 1000? I'm looking at getting a CMMG so I imagine I'll go through hundreds initially ;-)

RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

#6 Post by RobB »

For my initial FAC, 3 years ago, I asked for 1500 .22 and 3 .22 target rifles (1 for me, one for young son to use and a spare). I now go through up to 600 rounds per month (esp in summer) and have gone through 200 in a day when practicing
I had 6 months of prone target shooting to use as evidence so everything went thru fine.

Rockhopper

#7 Post by Rockhopper »

No, leave the .22 alone, if they give it you happy days, if not they just give you what they will allow for initial grant, it was 500 for me although I asked for 1000.
I'd stick a few full bores on there to save on time and variation costs later.
Don't under estimate how much it's going to cost to feed them all though so be realistic with what you want, need and will actually use.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

double the pistol cals, 300 will not last you long at all

can you shoot a 303 with 32acp bullets loaded at your range?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

I'd change the ammo limits to 600rds for the centre-fire stuff and 1200 for the rim-fire. You can bolster your application using simple logic. The Firearms Licensing Guide the police use states that 600rds is a 'normal' amount of ammunition for target shooting, therefore you're asking for the norm, nothing more. You've asked for 1200rds of .22 as you are asking for two .22 rifles - simple. Although just a small difference, the number '1250' seems a bit plucked out of the air to me and in my experience they'll knock you back, or at least try to if they think you've got no basis for asking for.
DVC
ordnance

#10 Post by ordnance »

It must work differently here, you apply for the firearm you want and each time you want another firearm you do a variation.