Accidental discharge - firearm malfunction.

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
Chuck

Accidental discharge - firearm malfunction.

#1 Post by Chuck »

Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Accidental discharge - firearm malfunction.

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Do they actually say the accidental discharge was due to DiY gunsmithing, not that it does not cause issues. I saw a 1911 put a magazines worth of .45ACP down range in full auto many years ago after the owner had 'tweaked' the gun to reduce trigger weight and more recently I heard of a Hatzan dumping a magazines contents down range after a trigger job so such incidents certainly happen.

Incidentally, I flatly refuse to fit or work on sub 8oz triggers, and am wary of 3 lever jobs below 16ozs and if I lose work because of this policy then so be it. At least I can sleep at night.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Ovenpaa wrote:Do they actually say the accidental discharge was due to DiY gunsmithing, not that it does not cause issues. I saw a 1911 put a magazines worth of .45ACP down range in full auto many years ago after the owner had 'tweaked' the gun to reduce trigger weight and more recently I heard of a Hatzan dumping a magazines contents down range after a trigger job so such incidents certainly happen.

Incidentally, I flatly refuse to fit or work on sub 8oz triggers, and am wary of 3 lever jobs below 16ozs and if I lose work because of this policy then so be it. At least I can sleep at night.
I don't understand why people want trigger pulls THAT low? My Timney Calvin Elite 2-stage trigger on my Remington 700 is set to a second stage pull weight of 2lb and that's about as light as I would like to go.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Some people will happily run 4oz and even 2oz triggers however there is not a lot of room for error and the trigger has to be well maintained, regardless of how 'good' the trigger/maintenance and shooter they are not for me.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

The trigger on my Anschutz target rifle is set at 6 oz. It has a very clear 1st and 2nd stage. It's clear to me, anyway. To somebody else, it would probably be 'faulty'. :squirrel:
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

Back in the day my Glock 21 went full auto in the middle of a Practical stage... like everyone else with Glocks, I'd replaced the factory trigger with a competiton trigger, but that was it.

I'd used it for many months before this happened, and had shot several stages that day, but on the 3rd target it emptied half the mag, stiching a line up the target. I continues the stage (only 2 more targets) then gave it a good clean before shooting more. It never did it again..
Rockhopper

#7 Post by Rockhopper »

When we used to shoot the Browning hi power 9mm we were told that there was a failure mode that could cause it fire on full auto. If you had a full magazine on at the time there was a possibility of shooting yourself in the head. I'm not sure how true that was though....
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

Ovenpaa wrote:Some people will happily run 4oz and even 2oz triggers however there is not a lot of room for error and the trigger has to be well maintained, regardless of how 'good' the trigger/maintenance and shooter they are not for me.
I always bump test my triggers by closing the bolt and bumping the butt pad on the floor (obviously with an unloaded firearm...) and I'm guessing triggers with an ounce pull force would not pass this test. I'm guessing most people don't do this.

Sorry chuck, a bit off topic.
Chuck

#9 Post by Chuck »

I think the article did mention he had made some DIY mods to the gun.

Welshshooter, not at all, no worries..all good comments.

We had a Walther P99 AS, long slow first pull then a short crisp second...didn't much like it. My Remmy 700 Custom has a very light trigger but not so that it's too sensitive.
......and stay in business!. That's a good risk assessment - because we all know who would get the blame if there was a mishap.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#10 Post by Les »

WelshShooter wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Some people will happily run 4oz and even 2oz triggers however there is not a lot of room for error and the trigger has to be well maintained, regardless of how 'good' the trigger/maintenance and shooter they are not for me.
I always bump test my triggers by closing the bolt and bumping the butt pad on the floor (obviously with an unloaded firearm...) and I'm guessing triggers with an ounce pull force would not pass this test. I'm guessing most people don't do this.

Sorry chuck, a bit off topic.
My Anschutz will happily pass the bump test - I use a rubber mallet to give the butt a good smack. It will go as low as 2 oz and still pass, but that is a bit too light, even for me. ;)

I agree 100% about safety. I've got a CZ453 and a 455, and I have found that the lightest springs in the various trigger kits to be a bit too light. Not only do they fail the bump test, but more often than not the whole bolt will come straight out of the rifle when it is cycled, especially if any of the roller shims have been fitted.