My First Purchase

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

Re: My First Purchase

#11 Post by Lever357 »

Many thanks for all the comments peeps. I was wondering if it was described as "white" - I have the Uberti catalogue from Kranks and the 1873 rifle and carbines are described as being available in "Blue, charcoal, blue, white and antique." There's also a 1883 Burgess rifle available in .45LC or 44/40 but it is not listed in the Kranks catalogue so it might not be available in the UK.

I definitely wanted a lever action as my first purchase and had used my friends Henry Golden Boy which is nice but I don't like the loading system, although you can put a scope on. The club has a couple of Marlins which I have used but I find when cocked, my right thumb is hovering over the hammer as the stocks are short for me. Have also shot a Winchester 94 with angle eject so it too had a scope. Haven't shot a Rossi yet.

To be honest I had my heart set on a Uberti after seeing a case hardened one at the CLA Game Fair at Harewood two years ago. Another shooting friend had had Uberti pistols and said I would not be disappointed with the quality. I got a message about this one last Thursday evening and 24 hours later it was in my cabinet. It is second or third hand but in excellent condition and I am well chuffed!!!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
lapua338

#12 Post by lapua338 »

In the white the Uberti looks fantastic. It's a beautiful rifle.

If I ever come across a similar example I would have to buy it.

I recently purchased a 1873 Competition chambered in .357 which I'm very happy with now that I've received my "no-drill" gunstock cover and sling.

For the dedicated practical/dynamic courses of fire our club organises (no optics allowed) a sling is essential to enhance safe and efficient gun handling.

My other lever action is a .357 Rossi 92 16" carbine. I've had that for a couple of years and it's used hard.
Attachments
WP_20170111_20_50_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20170111_18_46_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20170111_18_46_01_Pro.jpg
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

lapua338 wrote:In the white the Uberti looks fantastic. It's a beautiful rifle.

If I ever come across a similar example I would have to buy it.

I recently purchased a 1873 Competition chambered in .357 which I'm very happy with now that I've received my "no-drill" gunstock cover and sling.

For the dedicated practical/dynamic courses of fire our club organises (no optics allowed) a sling is essential to enhance safe and efficient gun handling.

My other lever action is a .357 Rossi 92 16" carbine. I've had that for a couple of years and it's used hard.
Why is a sling essential for safe and efficient gun handling.
lapua338

#14 Post by lapua338 »

Why is a sling essential for safe and efficient gun handling?
We do not have gun racks on the range. Therefore, you are required to carry your gun. No one is going to steal your gun from a rack when it's stowed across your back. A sling is to a rifle what a holster is to a pistol or revolver. How is the user going to carry his gun without one? It's a simple device that is suited to the club's activities. As an example, even though it is not necessarily intended to be used as a shooting aid it is beneficial when the stage procedure requires targets to be engaged from a number of different shooting distances as the shooter advances downrange. A sling of some kind allows the user to have both hands free. Once the gun has been checked and cleared the user is required to stow their gun across their back or over one shoulder whilst scoring, patching or other activities. It is inconvenient and inefficient to accommodate someone without a sling who may have to return to the firing point, club house or their car to case his/her gun. It's not making the best use of the range time between details. All that time expended to no good purpose diminishes our range time.
S1M
Home club or Range: Bisley

#15 Post by S1M »

For its age that gun looks great
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#16 Post by Lever357 »

S1M wrote:For its age that gun looks great
What age do you think it is????
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

lapua338 wrote:
We do not have gun racks on the range. Therefore, you are required to carry your gun. No one is going to steal your gun from a rack when it's stowed across your back. A sling is to a rifle what a holster is to a pistol or revolver. How is the user going to carry his gun without one? It's a simple device that is suited to the club's activities. As an example, even though it is not necessarily intended to be used as a shooting aid it is beneficial when the stage procedure requires targets to be engaged from a number of different shooting distances as the shooter advances downrange. A sling of some kind allows the user to have both hands free. Once the gun has been checked and cleared the user is required to stow their gun across their back or over one shoulder whilst scoring, patching or other activities. It is inconvenient and inefficient to accommodate someone without a sling who may have to return to the firing point, club house or their car to case his/her gun. It's not making the best use of the range time between details. All that time expended to no good purpose diminishes our range time.
Thanks for the explanation.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

lapua338 wrote:
Or your club could just buy/make a gun rack.... :D

TBH I'd prefer to use a sling and carry my rifle/shotgun but as the types of targets we use require you to bend over when you do the gun would be pointing either up/down range and you'd be DQ'ed under the rules we shoot to.
DVC