7.65x53 Brass Forming

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Asgard
Home club or Range: Valley Arms gun club, Ruthin Rifle club, 3 Stags shooting society

Re: 7.65x53 Brass Forming

#11 Post by Asgard »

Hello all, a bit of a weird question. When reforming brass from another cartridge. Do we anneal the whole body of the case or only the shoukder/neck area?
Thank you
The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.
Niccola Machiavelli
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

WelshShooter wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:03 pm If 308 is too short then wouldn't a 30'06 be more suitable?
Don't forget to delete or mark the headstamp of reformed brass!
Careful with this, yes you can scrub head stamps however you then need to be imaginative as the cartridge will sit short in the chamber and when struck will have a tendency to move forward and show light strikes. Building carefully with a lower pressure load and jamming the projectile overcomes this.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Asgard wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:07 pm Hello all, a bit of a weird question. When reforming brass from another cartridge. Do we anneal the whole body of the case or only the shoukder/neck area?
Thank you

Just the bit you are changing, so neck and shoulder and never go far below the shoulder.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
PeterN

#14 Post by PeterN »

I have resized and trimmed .30-06 cases to 7.65mm using an RCBS form and trim die. I have Lee and Redding die sets and usually use the Redding nowadays. I had no problems with not chambering etc. I bought 200 PRVI 7.65mm cases from Hunting Sport in Luxembourg just before brexit. They won't sell to the UK now. I have asked Kranks about getting 7.65mm cases or ammunition but they say the demand is too small to justify as PRVI have a minimum order quantity and they would have money tied up in stock that would take several years to sell. So, unless someone orders a shed load from Kranks, no 7.65mm will be arriving here from them. I think you can get Norma cases if your pocket is deep enough, as a rifle I bought several years ago came with 60 Norma cases.
I never thought about altering the head stamp on reformed cases. I know what they are now and no-one except me is likely to use them. I have cases marked .243 Win that are now 6.5 Japanese and cases marked 8x57mm that are now 7.7 Japanese as well as the .30-06 that are now 7.65mm.
Regards
Peter.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#15 Post by bradaz11 »

I wouldn't recomend scrubbing and removing length, I'd be more inclined to run in and undercut a line through the headstamp.

one of the guys i shoot with marks his brass with two centre punch marks, for reclaiming his brass after the stage. something like this would also be far more preferable.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
WelshShooter

#16 Post by WelshShooter »

bradaz11 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:01 am I wouldn't recomend scrubbing and removing length, I'd be more inclined to run in and undercut a line through the headstamp.

one of the guys i shoot with marks his brass with two centre punch marks, for reclaiming his brass after the stage. something like this would also be far more preferable.
Ovenpaa wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:48 pm
WelshShooter wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:03 pm If 308 is too short then wouldn't a 30'06 be more suitable?
Don't forget to delete or mark the headstamp of reformed brass!
Careful with this, yes you can scrub head stamps however you then need to be imaginative as the cartridge will sit short in the chamber and when struck will have a tendency to move forward and show light strikes. Building carefully with a lower pressure load and jamming the projectile overcomes this.
Wow, this is a blast from the past! Yes, I agree. Filing down the headstamp is a bad idea for the reason Ovenpaa mentions. It was the use of a punch that I had in mind in my original post (as example, the stamped serial number on the magazine floor plate of my M48 has been deleted using a centre punch and re-stamped with a new serial number).
Asgard
Home club or Range: Valley Arms gun club, Ruthin Rifle club, 3 Stags shooting society

#17 Post by Asgard »

Ovenpaa wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:49 pm
Asgard wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:07 pm Hello all, a bit of a weird question. When reforming brass from another cartridge. Do we anneal the whole body of the case or only the shoukder/neck area?
Thank you

Just the bit you are changing, so neck and shoulder and never go far below the shoulder.
The reason I was asking is my type 38 arisaka. The brass coming out of it is a bit swollen abowe the web... Thats how the chamber is.
Was wondering if I could anneal the area before resizing to reduce risk of separation
The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.
Niccola Machiavelli
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

In a word, no. It would be unsafe.
/d

Shed Journal
Asgard

#19 Post by Asgard »

I see, thank you. I thought I'll ask. Someone suggested it but I did not feel right with it
Niccola Machiavelli