Cleaning advice

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

nickredhill
Home club or Range: Reigate Miniature Rifle & Pistol Club

Cleaning advice

#1 Post by nickredhill »

My Ruger owners manual suggests using Slip 2000 EWG Extreme Weapons Grease when cleaning the trigger group.
I generally buy stuff from Uttings but they don't sell this.
I can get it from Brownells but then I notice, at £26.90 it's almost twice the price of Liqui Molly gun grease, at 14.99, and the Beretta White Grease I already have only costs 10.99.

So my question is whether there's much difference between them and whether you recommend I should get the slip 2000 due to a specific difference between them?
Any advice greatly appreciated, not least because this will be the first time I've cleaned the trigger mechanism.

Thanks.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Cleaning advice

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Don't worry about it.
10/22s will work, just give it a clean every once in a while.
Any heavier gun oil will do if you must use it, not sure if there is any difference between all the ones you mentioned apart from price.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
nickredhill
Home club or Range: Reigate Miniature Rifle & Pistol Club

#3 Post by nickredhill »

Thanks, that's what I suspected.
Just one small concern is that the rifle is a Ruger Precision Rimfire RPR 22, not an old faithful 10/22, and the trigger is adjustable so not just a 10/22 trigger in another ruger.
The Beretta white gun grease is for a beretta shotgun for the lugs that the barrel interlocks onto in the action. So if I make the comparison with motor oil, I guess I'm wondering if it's like comparing that old castrol mineral oil in a Mk1 Austin Mini with the 0w30 in a new BMW Mini ?
Or is gun grease just gun grease?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

I run my .22" semis dry, lube just holds the grit in place.

If you must use an oil then the best gun oil is Automatic Transmission Fluid.

The gun branded products are just expensive rip offs.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#5 Post by FredB »

Lubricants are deigned for high pressure, low friction or a combination of both: auto transmission fluid meets the combined requirement.
Fred
Itsfatty
Home club or Range: BCRPA

#6 Post by Itsfatty »

I recently switched over to Teflon based lube from weldtite, I started using it in my Typhoon F12 but when I ran out of what I was using on my 10/22 I used this instead and have never looked back. It’s a semi dry lube so doesn’t gum up as quickly now and I swear it’s made the action smoother